MSI Customer Service.

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Hello,
I have purchased a MSI GTX980 from dabs.com. The card arrived damaged cosmetically. Tried to get a refund/replacement from dabs.com under the MSI warranty, I have emailed MSI 5 days ago about returning/refunding the graphics card.

I received a confirmation that the email went through to them but had nothing back for the last 5 days. So far i'm really disappointed with the MSI customer service.
Have you had a problem like this with MSI before?

What should i do if i don't receive a reply from MSI?

I'm getting stressed about this situation as the GPU wasn't cheap at all.

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Dabs.com only replace/refund within 14 days of purchasing the product. As it was purchased as a gift. That time period has run out.

yeah thats the The Consumer Contracts Regulations for selling at a distance

you have 14 days from delivery to decide if you dont want it

but far as i know uk consumer law is still the person who sold it to you is responsible for at least the 1st year unless its sold with less than a years warranty--ie some refurbished items may not give a full years warranty

unless they changed the law recently that i didnt hear about

had this argument in tescos for a friend who had bought a tv that went faulty

tescos insisted it wasnt their responsibility but the tv manufacturers

after an hour of discussing it and me refusing to budge they contacted head office who agreed with me and tescos replaced the tv there and then

i would have to look it up though to see if this has been changed

yeah seems the same law still applies you entered into a contract with dabs--not msi

therefore its dabs responsibility to sort it out not msi under your legal rights

phone dabs and say you want it sorted out under your uk legal rights--not the warranty

you can always check i am right with a quick phone call to citizens advice--its an old favourite with shops to give it the manufacturer is responsible line

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

thank you so much for the help, I will try that on Monday when they are open and i will let you know how it went

you are welcome

i would double check with a quick phone call to citizens advice but pretty certain i am right

unfortunately not all shop staff even know consumer law which is ironic given they are selling stuff to consumers

if they just keep repeating themselves i normally ask for the complaints department--though now adays they usually pretty it up by calling it public relations department etc

just make it clear you are quoting your legal rights not any thing to do with warranty

the other issue they always repeat like parrots is if you have a years guarantee and 13 months later your item packs up they just keep saying its over 1 year old nothing can be done--thats not true either under uk law it has to last a reasonable time--this is usually5--6 years depending on the item

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Sorry to be mentioning this now, completely forgot about this.

I emailed dabs.com about getting a refund/replace under the warranty which to i was told that the warranty of the GPU doesn't cover cosmetic damage. I informed them that the GPU is running at a much higher temperature than it should at idle but they repeated themselves about the warranty not covering cosmetic damage.

What should i do in this case?

Link to images of the card: http://imgur.com/a/xIkwB

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Thank you for all of the help, i will go ahead and email now and once they get back with me, i will let you know. Enjoy your weekend :)

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Okay thank you i will try that.

The card was purchased on the December 14th and i emailed on the January 22nd due to the product being a gift and i did not know that the card was damaged.

Are the 30 days counted as 30 working days?

it should be 30 days from when it was delivered not when it was purchased

no it will be 30 days regardless of whether there are weekends in those 30 days--if that makes sense

30 working days would mean 5 days times 6 plus weekends so would add up to 42 days total

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

The email was sent after the 30 days.

What am i able to do now?.

unocko

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I both emailed and called MSI when my MSI 7870 started making funny noises. They did take a little to reply, but they did fix the problem wonderfully by sending me a new 390x as a replacement. So it might take a little and be annoying, but be patient and they'll fix you right up.

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

MSI have replied to the email and told me they can repair the card but i have to pay postage from the UK to the Netherlands

unocko

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

Not sure what the cost of that is, but I'm sure it'll be worth it, maybe get lucky and get brand new 980 sitting on the shelves not being sold because of the 980ti.

Mmkay13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Sorry to reply so late. But did you ask them for a upgrade or did they offer it?
Thanks in advance.