Dell Alienware X51 R2 Desktop Computer vs Dell XPS 8900 Desktop Computer

prime_pm

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I'm in the market for a new computer seeing as how my current setup is about a decade old (even if all the parts are not, long story). I was at Micro Center and they had two good looking systems that are available for around 700 dollars each, but I'm stuck on which one to get.

The Alienware model has a Core i7 4790 processor that clocks in at 3.6GHz with 8GBs of RAM, a Terabyte of hard drive space, a Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 graphics card, and a Blu-Ray Player. It also has the Windows 7 Home Premium Edition already installed, all for a total of 699.99.

The XPS is a Core i7 6700 processing at 3.4GHz with same RAM, same HDD, an NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 graphics card, and a DVD-RW. Unlike the Alienware, it's installed with Windows 7 Professional, totalling 759.99.

Either way I need a new monitor to go with, luckily Acer's covered that.

ANYWAY, most of the time I use my computer for gaming, but I also need it for creative writing and video editing (nothing too fancy, just Serif Movieplus, Photoshop Premiere and some other software). I want a rig that can allow such activities. The Alienware sounds powerful enough, but i hear enough rumors of problems with Alienware. The XPS leaves room for upgrades but I'm not sure if I'd even need an upgrade in the future. As for Blu-Ray I'd prefer a Writer either way, but that's off the table for now.

Frankly I would have preferred an Acer rig but none of them has Windows 7. And HP is right out. But I digress.

These two rigs seem the most manageable for my budget, but I don't want to shortchange myself either. I'm also not that knowledgeable on computers, only that my sister prefers everything Apple. My hope is that whichever I choose lasts me another ten years at best. Any suggestions?

logainofhades

Titan
Neither system is a stellar system, but the Alienware is the better gamer, as it has the better GPU. Don't expect much gaming performance, in newer titles, though. That card is on the low end of performance scale, by today's standards.

prime_pm

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Well I wasn't planning to play any top of the line games like X-Com 2 anyway, mostly just old or indie games. At the most recent, I wanted to try Dragon Commander, maybe Warhammer Total War but that's a big maybe since I tired of Total War games after Empire.

But I heard that Pro was better than Home Edition.

logainofhades

Titan
It really isn't better, for 99% of users out there. For gaming the GPU matters, and that GT 730 is weak. Depending on which one it is, it can even be weaker than some current IGP. I don't like prebuilts in general, though, so not crazy about either system.

prime_pm

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
No Fry's in my state. Shame, they do list some pretty good PC's on there.

In any case, the Alienware just sold out so that's off the table. Now all that's left is the XPS. Newegg has an ABS Dreadnought ALA043 available for 549. AMD FX-Series FX-6300 (3.50 GHz) and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB, still with Windows 7 Pro, and power supply at 400W. Not familiar with ABS brand; no info to go by. Neat price though.