Who still using windows xp in 2016???

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I still have XP on my P4 which I use to run my scanner, some node-locked engineering software and other hardware that does not have drivers for anything newer than that. I also have XP on my laptop which I use mainly to access datasheets from my work bench.

Wolfshadw

Titan
My question would be, why does it matter to you?

There are plenty of reasons to still be running Windows XP. The most obvious being I still have viable hardware that won't run on anything newer.

-Wolf sends

TorgoHiggins

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
It's a rock solid operating system that's still perfectly usable within its limits. The fact that it maintains a strong base of users (relatively speaking) a decade and a half later is telling enough. Some of us might be crotchety fuddy-duddies that can't let go, but that sort of write-off can only account for so many people. Ultimately, it's less an indictment of newer or current versions of Windows and more a compliment to just how good XP is.

I still run an old P4 notebook with XP Pro along side my main desktop with Win7. Even refurbed and upgraded it a few years back. Works like a charm.

I still run a xp box and cant say how many times its bailed out newer windows os's , and if a legacy gamer its the thing as well. thing is with a AM3+ build you could move up to some newer hardware as well and the NVidia gtx 960 card supports xp in full . just a point to ponder

My question would be, why does it matter to you?

To me?
Yes it's matter to me!
I wanna see if i have some friends that runs xp on their old pcs. Coz i still stick with my old PII laptop runs xp home. :p

And i'm sorry if you think this post, made by me, is frivolous.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
since fall, i've done fresh installs of Win98SE, Win2k, and WinXP. why? because. doing 98SE was actually kind of fun cuz i had to make a floppy to even get the hard drive prepared. it was..... nostalgic. currently i'm running a dual-boot of WinXP + Win8.1 on one machine, and will do it to another one within a month.

why ask why? Bud Dry.

Bud-Dry-Why-Ask-Why-Beer-Light-Neon-Dallas-Cowboys-Neon-Sign-Nbaa-Jersey-Beer-Pub.jpg

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, unfortunately at work... and ran into a nightmare trying to upgrade with some more memory. Compatibility issues that I didnt for see: high density vrs. Low density ICs. Least it isn't my rig at home.. but to be honest it sucks the wind out of wanting to have fun on my rig at home, when I wait for an excel sheet to load on the work computer... and the bottom tier onboard graphics quality.

FYi.. you probably all already know this, the OS is no longer supported by microsoft.. so its swiss cheese for a hacker now.

InvalidError

Titan

Most people access the internet from behind a router. Unless your router, another PC on your LAN or the websites you are visiting from your XP computers have been compromised, hackers cannot touch your XP PCs without user-initiated action to expose the PC first.

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Well yes ofcourse... I guess I could have worded it better than just hacker access stealing yo mega hurtz!
But having a unpatched OS, thats no longer supported makes the work allot easier for malware, script kiddies, and user-initiated hacker attempts to poke around, and it will continue to get easier if its not updated and people like to pwn systems worldwide onto botnets, etc.

InvalidError

Titan

At this point, I think I am more worried about Microsoft's telemetry, GWX adware, nagware, unwanted automatic upgrade downloads, etc. than hackers. I disabled Windows Updates on my PC because I got tired of having to uninstall those unwanted "updates" every time they got re-installed despite being set to hidden.

I find it ironic that the only malware that got on my PC in the past five years got on it through Windows Updates, courtesy of Microsoft.

I still use XP on my Pro Tools audio recording rig. Although there are newer versions of Pro Tools that will run on Windows 7 or 8 (10 is not supported yet), my setup is fine for me, and if I upgraded I would have to buy new plugins (Autotune), and perhaps some newer hardware. Since this computer is not connected to the internet, I am not worried about malware.

LOL... '' and if I upgraded I would have to buy new plugins '' theres the key word ''buy'' Microsoft is all about money and why some programs for windows may not now work with newer windows .. buy 120$ software that's for xp but now you got to buy more or new for latter windows and then find it not as full or complete as the one for xp to top that off as well and to make it so you got to buy [like said above] the add on's extra cost

The fact that Avid has not qualified Windows 10 for Pro Tools almost a year after release is telling. Per the guys on the Avid forum, some have Windows 10 setups that are "working" and others are having problems, tells me to stay away from 10 as long as possible. I may stay on XP forever for that rig. I don't even want to do the "free" upgrades to 10 on my Windows 7 Pro and 8 Pro computers until I have to (mainly because of the lack of Windows Media Center on 10).

InvalidError

Titan

I bet many people will still be using XP somewhere 10 years from now.

XP is not going to die out completely until all equipment that runs it has failed. For example, companies that own a 100k$ 5GHz Agilent Infinium oscilloscope from ~12 years ago that runs XP are not going to throw it out until it dies from other reasons. Good luck finding Windows 10 drivers for the custom hardware that goes into those if you want to attempt an OS upgrade.

aoresteen

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2016
I'm using XP right now. I have some SCSI film scanners that will not run on anything beyond XP. XP is still supported by 3rd parties:

1. Browser. I use Firefox current version 45.0.1.

2. AVG 2016 Free Antivirus.

3. Zemana Anti-logger Free.

4. I'm firewalled behind a physical router.

I'm still happy!. My CPU is a bit old - Intel Dual Core E6800 @ 3.3 GHz. I'm looking for an i7 motherboard that will run XP to add in the next couple of months .

Its the very old PGA 478.... with a whopping 768 Mb of RAM! An Optiplex GX240, running XP Pro.

It even dual-boots with Puppy Linux, which gives me better performamance as it doesn't require any additional AV software and runs entirely in RAM.

I sort of collect old PCs. I also have a faster AMD Athlon XP 2400+ in the garage which has XP Home edition on it. There is also a PIII 450 MHz with XP Pro and a couple of PIII Dell Laptops with XP Pro. Even an HP Vectra 486DX4 with Win 98SE. But only the Dell Optiplex desktop is still used in any way nowadays.

ImperialGuardsman

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I was running XP as my daily driver up until 2015. I bought a computer from a friend in 2006, an Athlon XP 2500+ machine, and used it every day. That's quite some time without a part failure! I used it as a gaming machine too, if you can imagine. It got me through high school and college. It was retired and a number of months ago was resurrected as a Windows 98SE machine complete with SSD, a new power supply (why tempt fate?) and KernelEx. I even made a post on Facebook with it!

Just a few days ago I finished my vintage XP gaming rig. Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965, Nvidia Geforce 9800gt, 4 gigs of RAM, and (of course) an SSD. Blame that guy Druaga 1 on youtube for all the SSD hoopla. It is a great rig. I am going to make a new thread about it in a minute about dual booting with Windows 2000. I hope that I can throw 2000 on a separate hard drive rather than wipe XP and start with 2000. Look for the thread if you want to chime in!

XP was a grand lady, but 98SE has always been the gal for me...

Just visitied a friend yesterday, she said she had computer problems. Things running very slowly etc.

Turns out she's running XP Home (32-bit) on a Compaq Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB ram!

After a bit of hacking (POS updates) and the application of about 15 years of experience tweaking XP things are running a bit more smoothly and it's kind of usable now.

But you can't perform miracles and I have recommended a system and OS upgrade asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.