How to convert two partitions on the same drive into one

sats11617

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
So I recently bought a ssd to add to my pc so that I could add my OS and some other files on to the ssd and keep my old hdd as storage. After finally getting the OS onto the ssd and being able to boot from it I tried to transfer all of the files back to the original hdd from the backup I had made from the ssd after cloning the drive. Once completed the hdd was no longer showing up at all in my computer so I went into disk management and tried to set a path for it, but it was now split into two partitions (I am assuming because I took the backed up ssd and put it onto a hdd because the size of one of the partitions is the size of the ssd). I tried formatting both partitions and then extending it to combine them but whenever I do this it tells me there is not enough space on the disk to complete the operation. Someone please help! This whole process has been very frustrating and I am pretty new to this so any help would be appreciated.

Solution
+1 ^^^
You can only extend a partition which has free space. Also, you should defrag your HDD before dealing with partitions and what not.

For an easier process, get Minitool Partition Wizard:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

On the other hand, when I got the same error (not enough space on the disk), I was recommended this software.
On the first use, it told me that my 'Disk is Bad'. I tested it, only to find that the HDD was dead. I'm not trying to say that your HDD is dead, however the Partition Wizard software will make your life easier.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I think did it wrong. You can only EXTEND a partition with free space. So what you need to do is move what ever data you want to keep off the smallest partition and then DELETE that small partition. After that you should have free space available. Next, you simply EXTEND the other partition so that it eats up that free space.

One thing people forget to do when working with partitions is running a disk defrag first so that the data is compacted together.

siviprime

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
+1 ^^^
You can only extend a partition which has free space. Also, you should defrag your HDD before dealing with partitions and what not.

For an easier process, get Minitool Partition Wizard:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

On the other hand, when I got the same error (not enough space on the disk), I was recommended this software.
On the first use, it told me that my 'Disk is Bad'. I tested it, only to find that the HDD was dead. I'm not trying to say that your HDD is dead, however the Partition Wizard software will make your life easier.

Solution

sats11617

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

I tried doing this, the only problem is I cannot download anything for some reason. I even tried downloading chrome after all of my programs disappeared from my desktop and that won't work. I don't even get an error message, it just doesn't download.