Opinion on first gaming/editing build

Vilexistent

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Hey guys, I've been brainstorming on a build, which I would be using for music production, Photoshop/Illustrator, video editing/VFX and 3D rendering, and last but not least gaming.

My budget is 1800$, but I'm from India, and PC components are a lot pricier here, so the parts I have in mind don't reflect the the same prices that are seen abroad(about 500$ difference). Even though that tears my pocket off in terms of the budget, I still want to squeeze out that extra money for a smooth sail for my intended uses, within this budget. This is what I've come up with so far, and since this is my very first build, I thought it'd be best to get insights on whether if it really is a smooth sail, from people who have done this a lot.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I chose all these parts based on what's good and available, and sadly there's not much available in the market here. I'm thinking I should get a different PSU, but not a lot of options that doesn't push the budget even further. I definitely welcome suggestions if there's a red light in the build, but I'll have to check with the price and availability here. Thank you guys.

It's a good build, considering how hard it can be to get parts where you live. If you plan to overclock you may want to get a better CPU cooler (hyper 212) and install it when you build the system vs doing it later. The Corsair RMx series are pretty good power supplies so that should be fine. An SSD could help speed up performance in apps and in windows if you can afford one (Samsung 850 EVO). I don't see a GPU in your build. If you plan to do any gaming you'll need one. A GTX 970 is about 30K INR where you live. You can get a GTX 960 or R9 380 for a bit less. You could save some money getting a cheaper case like Corsair 200R.

Vilexistent

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Oh crap, so sorry. I completely missed the GPU. I plan to get that one indeed, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4G. I do intend to learn and do overclocking, but I'm gonna reserve it for a later date, but I'll definitely consider getting Hyper 212 when I do that. I can fit in the SSD if get cheaper case like the one you mentioned, but I'm guilty of really liking how 750D looks haha. I'll definitely think on that and try to convince myself to take the practical route, but thank you! Good to know that so far it looks good.

Edit: Missed the part where you said that it's better to get the cooler when building the PC, will try to come to decision on that as well. Thing is, overclocking is something that I haven't looked into at all, so I figured I'll take my time to get around the whole thing and then get the cooler when I'm ready, not sure how practical that sounds.

Vilexistent

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Slowly convincing myself to get a different case, two question though. Would the GPU and Hyper 212 have trouble fitting in that case? Second thing being, I've been using a prehistoric PC for a while now for photoshop, illustrator and minimalistic after effects projects, so an upgrade like this would definitely be speedier than what I've been using. What I'm wondering is, would having an SSD improve speed to levels that's worth it, compared to the speed I'm going to experience jumping from the prehistoric PC to the new build? I guess I'm just making excuses to get that other case lol. I can always upgrade to a different case later, right?

Vilexistent

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I decided on getting that SSD and the case, found a potential buyer for my ps3 which I rarely use, that'll cover the cost of the SSD. I'll start on buying the parts then, thank you!