Questions about my computer

Kyakure

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello, recently I started checking out components (mostly CPU) because I've had a bunch of problems with my PC... I won't say all the details cause it's really long, but anyway, my computer has (had) an overheating issue, probably the CPU overheating. I've "fixed" it by adding a case fan on the rear, and by "fixed" I mean that every 1/2 months I have to clean up my PC from the dust or it would overheat causing BIG FPS drops in some games (that was the problem, long story short).

My question here is, are games mostly CPU demanding or GPU? And what would it change if I bought a new CPU? Can I just buy a new one or do I have to build another computer (without the GPU, it's brand new)?

Here are my computer specs:

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM: 8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz
MoBo: ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX (CPUSocket)
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (Gigabyte) (It's the windforce version, bought it in october)
Don't know much about the power supplies as these specs are taken from Speccy, the only thing I know is that it's 650W in total...

Birk Stolt

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Depends. Games like ArmA 3 are very CPU demanding - a lot of live entities, that are highly interactive.
Games like Call of Duty, CSGO and BF series are mostly GPU demanding. A lot of visual entities, interactive shadows (example) and stunning textures.

However there are games like R6 siege, that evenly balances CPU and GPU usage. (Somewhat.) CPU side you have walls tearing apart, holes in walls and for GPU side you have the graphics..

Even though my post is quite a mess (grammar wise) I believe you're able to make it up yourself - Think about it.
What game do I play? >
Does it have good graphics? Or a lot of physics?>

I believe that's how to find out.

Kyakure

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Bringing up the game argument, a good example for me to explain myself is talking about TERA Online. It has kind of high demanding graphics, but Idk about the physics... I mean, a friend of mine has a GTX 760 as GPU and runs it at 50 fps with the effects at 5/6 (almost maxed out) while my GTX 950 runs at 40 (even 25/30 in some parts of the map) with effects at 3/4.

Lately I'm not playing that many games, and the ones I play run smooth, but with games like TERA, Fallout 4, and the about-to-come Black Desert Idk what my plans should be...

Birk Stolt

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

In that case i'd suggest that TERRA is CPU demanding. is it an MMO?

Kyakure

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

It is, probably the most demanding graphics right now... But it might be soon overrun by Black Desert Online, which is another MMO but newer, and from the videos I saw there might be a lot of physics in it too (clothing, hair etc).

Birk Stolt

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

MMOs are CPU intensive because of the AI and a huge map with physics etc; It doesn't seem like graphics demanding game.