Please check my external GPU build

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Hi there!

I have a mini-ITX HTPC that I do not want to refit into a larger case, thus I am planning to bring out the PCIe 3.0 access with a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-Express-Riser-Flexible-Cable/dp/B0057M16Q8/

Then I'd like to use this PSU: http://www.amazon.de/Listan-BN223-Quiet-Power-PC-Netzteil/dp/B00DBIOFYA/
And this GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832

My plan is to connect this new PSU to the GTX970 via the 6pin cables, so I'd turn it on only as needed (before turning on the HTPC of course).

Edit: I have an i3-4340 (3.6 GHz) and 8GB Corsair Vengeance currently clocked at 1.3GHz, I don't think CPU should create any issue here anyway

Thanks in advance!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015

Ah, thanks! Will use that 2 way adapter. What suggestions would you have otherwise?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Without seeing the system you have and how you are going to go about that, it would be hard to say. Will the gfx card be lying in the HTPC case somehow? Laying outside the case? Where will the 2nd PSU sit?
By using that adapter, both PSUs will come on at the same time. Better, if you want to use the GTX 970 all the time. But not sure how convenient that will be if you plan on using your iGPU for everyday use and the card just for gaming.

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015

Ok, now I understand what this adapter would do. I'm thinking to put everything loose in this low TV cabinet, spanning horizontally basically. So the current HTPC stays as-is, with only the PCIe cable coming out, and new GPU + PSU would be close but outside.

Would it be a problem to boot with the integrated HD4600 and turn on the second PSU+GPU shortly afterwards? I really do not know how this works on PCIe, but on PCI it would not have been advised if I remember correctly.

Edit: nevermind, I just checked, we are probably a decade away from GPU PCIe hotplugging. Fun fact: as I can see from here, there is actually support for hotplug in PCI-express itself (pin 1), it's just that GPU wouldn't have a reason to support such feature..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your monitor has to be connected to the card for it to produce a display. You would have to constantly be moving the video cable from the HTPC to the card and back again. And that's only IF the motherboard doesn't disable the iGPU when there's a card in the PCIex16 slot.

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015

Thanks for your feedback, will consider these issues. However I am quite fine at operating the extra PSU, moving the HDMI cable (or leaving a second one plugged in, as I have plenty HDMI inputs left) and even detaching the PCIe cable if the Intel integrated one refuses to cooperate. I can leave all the stuff plugged in if I don't mind the waste of energy and otherwise unplug it if I plan to leave the HTPC on for long

TRENDING THREADS