Unable to change language setting, windows 10

OllieOlson

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I just bought a new HP windows 10 laptop. I would like to get Cortana to work. I am in Canada and I have everything set up with Canadian options. Except, however, I am unable to change the speech language option. It is stuck on US english. Since I have my region set to Canada, the region and the language don't match so Cortana won't work. I just want Canada English to work. I am annoyed as I have a feature I paid for on my computer and it won't work. I have watched tutorials, looked everywhere and they keep saying to download a language pack. I don't have that option. The only thing I can change is the handwriting option. I'm stuck and frustrated. Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and figured out the solution?

Many thanks

Solution
Did you try clicking on the language pack you are currently using (Settings>Time and Language>Region & Language) and selecting options?

The speech file should be under handwriting section in this area as I had a similar problem on weekend when PC was accidentally formatted as UK English and I needed to set speech to English(Australia) but only had English(UK) in the box.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try clicking on the language pack you are currently using (Settings>Time and Language>Region & Language) and selecting options?

The speech file should be under handwriting section in this area as I had a similar problem on weekend when PC was accidentally formatted as UK English and I needed to set speech to English(Australia) but only had English(UK) in the box.

Solution

OllieOlson

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Hi, thank you for responding so quickly. I have clicked on speech, but the speech menu does not give me any options. I am also not given the option to download any new ones. I have tried adding different languages in the language menu but they still will not show up in the speech menu as options. I am feeling pretty frustrated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. Click Canadien under the Languages heading on Region & Language (the menu directly above speech). This will bring up three choices: Set as Default, Options & Remove

2. Select options from it and as soon as you hit the next screen it should download your speech file pack. Otherwise it is shown under the handwriting section.

3. Then when you go to Speech menu you should have a choice.

If you are saying you did this already, and it didn't work, then your problem is different to mine.

It could be the extra files are loaded from windows store as my PC added extra ones yesterday. But the three steps i showed above worked for me so I don't know. Sorry :)