Contemplating my first build, could use a little help

BigStackPoker

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Hello, folks!

I've completed a theoretical build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F2FbFT

However, the price tag is a little high for me, at just under $2000. I was hoping you good people here might help me shave $200-400 off the price without sacrificing too much in terms of functionality.

This would be my first build, so I really have no idea if I've selected things that aren't worthwhile.

My primary function for this computer would be programming. I have just enrolled in a class in which I will learn Unity and have also bought my first domain, so I will need to be able to use wordpress... It seems like Unity will have me building 3d games, so I guess I need to build a "gaming" PC... but that's not undesirable. I could see myself getting back into MMORPGs and the like, but that's neither here nor there.

Additionally, I am starting a new business, so I've opted for Windows 10 Pro, as I've read that's a little better than the home version for my needs.

I have no experience in web design (I guess a little HTML but not a ton), computer building, etc... and very little in programming (True Basic back in the day). I'm also not super savvy when it comes to technobabble... but I learn by Google with the best of them, so give me your best shot and I'll try to keep up.

Any feedback in the form of thoughts you have on the system as listed or possible changes/suggestions would be much, much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

targetdan

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fMbTXL

This saves you a bit - cheaper and better ssd, lower wattage better quality psu and your case was pretty hefty so picked a similar one with good reviews. (apologies if you really like the 750D, I know cases are very much personal taste!)

If you wanted to save a bit more you could lose the sound card, the motherboard would be fine. Also if you aren't overclocking you could probably save some money on the board and cpu too...

BigStackPoker

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I'm definitely not married to the case. It had good reviews and I liked the notion of having plenty of space for tying off cables and stuff. It says the case you've selected isn't compatible with my video card. I'm assuming a good video card is mandatory for my needs. Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

When you say the motherboard would be fine without the sound card, does that mean that I could have sound without the card? I kind of assumed that was a necessity.

I know very little about overclocking, but from what I've read, it sounds pretty awesome. I'm curious if I'd have sufficient cooling for that, though.

targetdan

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
That card will fit in the case I chose, which has some good reviews of its own but feel free to look around. You have the option of removing one of the hard drive enclosures if you get a really long card, its quite a common feature nowadays.

As for sound cards, never bought one - mobo should be all you need on that front!

If you are curious about overclocking, read guides on here and overclock.net. the 4790k is a good chip for that and the noctua will keep it plenty cool enough, it's a very good cooler. If you wanted to save money you could even keep it cool enough with a hyper 212 evo (around 30 bucks), assuming you don't live in the tropics :p