Installing Windows 10 in Legacy Mode on an Acer Tablet Running Ubuntu

nprism

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
A few years ago I bought an Acer Iconia w700 6495 tablet - convertible from a local microcenter. At first Windows 8 that came preinstalled was fairly laggy for things that required the full use of the computers hardware (at the time I played minecraft and it did not run well in Win 8). Eventually I decided that I wanted to use Ubuntu on it, as I did on my desktop. I tried installing, but the Windows boot loader would not allow me to boot onto a live CD/USB and restricted the boot order and prevented other boot loaders from being used even when they were chosen in the BIOS. In order to fix this issue, I found that I could go into the BIOS and change the system to Legacy BIOS mode to install Ubuntu. It required that I make a BIOS password in order to change this. Eventually, I was able to simply boot into Legacy mode for Ubuntu (which was installed on a partition after the Windows one) and UEFI for Windows 8.1 (it updated soon after I got it). However, I soon forgot this BIOS password and was now unable to access Windows or UEFI. I have done a lot of research into figuring out how to recover or reset this type of password, but all of the programs I've tried failed and anything hardware related probably/definitively won't work because it is a tablet with the password, most likely, installed on EEPROM. Now here is my question:

1. Is there anyway that either I am missing or that others can use to recover this password without sending this tablet to acer and paying them to unlock it? I've used all the programs that I could find, DOS, backdoor passwords, CMOS battery (remeber its a tablet so that wont work), etc.

2. Is there a way to erase the windows partition that I currently have installed and (order is currently Windows partition, Storage partition, Ubuntu partition) and then install windows 10 through Legacy mode such that I it will bother work and allow me to access my Ubuntu partition (a different boot loader then the Windows default, preferably not grub 2 as that won't allow me to change between OS's without a keyboard, remember its a tablet) in the empty hard-disk space that will be left from erasing the first partition?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
~nprism

Solution
1) If Win 8 was laggy on it, Win 10 will be no better. You should not bother.
2) If you forgot your password, your only option is to send it in to be repaired. You will have no help here cracking it.
3) Buy a cheap USB keyboard and use that to access grub, you can get a low end logitech keyboard and mouse combo of ~$20
1) If Win 8 was laggy on it, Win 10 will be no better. You should not bother.
2) If you forgot your password, your only option is to send it in to be repaired. You will have no help here cracking it.
3) Buy a cheap USB keyboard and use that to access grub, you can get a low end logitech keyboard and mouse combo of ~$20

Solution