Laptop to external monitor, broken laptop screen. Black external monitor. But I got it to work once.

policetac

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I've got an age old question, but it's one I never did enough to remember the answer. That, and it's difficult to search. But here goes. (Oh, and thank you all in advance.)

It's the old question, "If you have an external monitor hooked up to a laptop, how do you know if it's working?" No the other screen is Black.

My girlfriend says we had problems with that monitor and cord before, I don't remember.

I "DID" get the computer and monitor to work for a moment. Right around when I first started messing with it. But now I get nothing. (I'll explain "messing with it" in a moment.)

But I don't know if it is the monitor that doesn't work, or if it is the laptop.

The computer has a badly broken screen The screen does come on, but it is impossible to "read" anything.) When I got the computer and monitor to work together successfully once, the picture on the external monitor was clear and crisp, the operating system worked.

The "messing with it" I was speaking with was when I was trying to get the "computer to send the signal to the monitor," and I was pressing a lot of keyboard combinations because of a mistrust in my confidence of the correct combination.

(Do some computers simply detect that there's an external monitor hooked up and automatically switch to it? Or do all computers require a function + key that specifically sends the signal to the external monitor?)

If you know the correct function + key combination, when do you apply it? Can you miss it or not wait long enough? Can you do anything else by hitting random combinations that would stop the computer from being able to use the external monitor?

Hopefully all this helps to illustrate my problem enough for someone to be able to recognize the issue and help me.

I'll do my best to watch the thread carefully so I can participate in my own request for help. And again, thank you to all in advance.

Solution
the OS has no involvement in this. the BIOS is the lord of this situation, once the BIOS has loaded it should work.
did it get stepped on?
if you have a usb keyboard then you can try to finish the trigger with that. you will have to use the Fn key on the laptop and use the F key on the external.
but this will rely on the Fn key working.
like a light, hit the trigger and it should turn right on.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
do the f-keys have anything that looks like a monitor on it? for my HP its Fn+F4, the F4 key has a square bracketed by lines |square| like that.

how did the screen get broken? stepped on while closed? that could have damaged the keyboard, preventing the shortcut, damaged the GPU or the port.
most laptops need the shortcut, if not the GPu would be powering the port and draining the battery. on a laptop battery is king hence the actual ON button (shortcut)
the shortcut should be able to be triggered anytime.

policetac

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
IDK if the battery/charging system is working correctly. The battery needs to be connected to the charger at the moment. Should I hook the system up and let it charge for a while in order to check this part of the system?

policetac

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Okay... And when it does work, then the switch is automatic right? So... if it doesn't switch right away either....? The OS isn't finished loading? Doesn't matter? Or the keyboard/keys are broken?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the OS has no involvement in this. the BIOS is the lord of this situation, once the BIOS has loaded it should work.
did it get stepped on?
if you have a usb keyboard then you can try to finish the trigger with that. you will have to use the Fn key on the laptop and use the F key on the external.
but this will rely on the Fn key working.
like a light, hit the trigger and it should turn right on.

Solution

policetac

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Okay, well there is enough here for the moment for me to go ahead and try the whole thing again. I'll be using parts from this computer here so I'll be unable to reply to this thread for a while. I'll post back tomorrow with any results or more questions. Thank you Motherboard Authority for your help so far.