Old Dell Inspiron 5100 with P4. Worth the time upgrading from 2.8 to 3.2ghz?

TorgoHiggins

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
So I have an old Dell Inspiron 5100. It's got about as much sentimental value as a computer is capable of having: It was my graduation gift back in '03, and has seen me through a lot of moves and transitions between other systems. Even now it's great for some legacy gaming and basic functionality on-the-go. I restored and upgraded it a few years back. It runs like a dream, but there's still a few tweaks and upgrades I can make to it.

The main one I'm on the fence about is this: Is it worth it to upgrade from a 2.8ghz P4 to a 3.2ghz? Am I going to get a noticeable boost in performance? The cost would be next to nothing, so that's not an issue, but it does necessitate a certain amount of system dismantling. I already upgraded it from a 2.4ghz when I overhauled it a few years back, so the "how" isn't a problem either. However, I'm just as inclined to leave it alone for the time being if there isn't going to be much in the way of tangible results. I don't see the point of going through the trouble until I need to, or I just want the experience of doing so. I'm quite pleased with the system as is.

Ultimately it probably is an upgrade I'll do at some point, but as it stands I feel like I'd be better off upgrading the ram again (currently at 1gb, can be upgraded to 2gb with a bios update) or putting in a new hard drive (currently the original 40gb drive.) The speakers also need replacing, so there's that as well.

TorgoHiggins

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I figured as much. I will admit though I've never actually considered checking out what the board and chipset could possibly support outside a P4, assuming there even is anything. For now though, I'll file this one under the "for funsies" category.

Thanks!

davidarad02

Admirable

no problem dude.
keep that puppy as a joke and laugh every time you see it ;)

TorgoHiggins

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
No lie, people have looked at it and straight up asked me, "What in the hell is that thing." Family ask me, "You still have that thing..." :)

davidarad02

Admirable

I know what you feel haha. I was on an OLD mac mini until a few months ago when I bought my new PC