Hi Guys,

I'm Running a:
Dell Precision M2800
Intel core i7-4710MQ @2.50 GHz
8GB RAM
2GB AMD Fire PRO
C 128gb Liteonit LCS-128
D drive is a 250GB SDSS

I recently removed the disc drive from my Dell Precision M2800 and Installed a second SSD. The primary C drive is a 128gb Liteonit LCS-128 and my secondary D drive is a 250GB SDSS . Initially, everythign was running file and I moved some of my storage space (download/my Documents) to the D drive. Two months down the line, I am now experiencing an issue where my D drive will not appear on boot. Intel Rapid Storage Technology give me a number of messages.
"Intel Rapid Storage Technology" SATA disk on Controller 0, Port Unknown detected" Then"Intel rapid storage technology enterprise SATA available disk: Removed" This will continue for up to a half hour until the drive will eventually be recognised and things work fine for a while until it disappear again until I reboot until the issue disappears. The drive will show up in the bios but the issue continues. I've considered upgrading to windows 10 creating a RAID0 with the drives to try to see if it will alleviate the problem, but I am a Designer and this will mean reinstalling several large processes. Any help would be much appreciated as this is my primary workstation and these issues are seriously impacting on my work. Thank you.

Regards,
Kevin

JaredDM

Honorable
Sounds to me like that drive is possibly dying. Sometimes a drive that's failing will take a long time to come ready and be recognized by the system. Make sure you have a backup of anything on there.

Kevin_DDS

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

Hi Jared, Thanks for your reply. How likely is this? Is there a way of testing the SSD?

Kev

JaredDM

Honorable
Hard to say. SSDs usually fail quickly, not gradually like you're describing. But the controllers reaction sounds typical of a disconnecting / slow to ID drive. Maybe it's something simple like a bad SATA cable or bad port on your motherboard, but hard to say for sure. In either event, just be sure to back up anything critical right away before messing around too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.