Looking for home cinema and gaming projectors

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I'm using a cheap 1080p 3D projector right now which I will have to give back once I move. So I want to get my own for my new home. I'm not sure what to get though. Here is what I'm looking for:

Used for: Primarily watching movies and tv shows and for gaming

Price Range: 500€ - 2500€ (Depending on how well the quality scales with increasing prices)

3D: Occasionally

Room lighting: Don't know yet, because I don't know where I will move to. Would be nice to have a suggestion for both.

DLP or LCD: Have tried both and couldn't see any ghosting or rainbow effect on either, so I'm open to both

Could I have some suggestions for good projectors? Will I see huge benefits between a 700€ or 2000€ projector or is the difference in the detail?

Solution
Well, that depends... Spending more money on a projector gets you more colors, and you get higher contrast, that's about it worth mentioning. I use a Optoma HD141X. The BenQ is only slightly better picture quality wise. I'm personal waiting for the euro screen react to come back in stock, until then, I just project on to a wall. I'm only getting 78" diagonal from a distance of 2.5m, projector lens to wall. I will land on 77" if I use a screen. It's a little small for me, but compared to my old 32" TV? Wow is all I can say.

I may consider a different screen, because I'm tired of waiting, hah. I'll look up something, and if I find one, then I will tell you.

The best advice I can give you is to visit a home cinema store and ask them for...
BenQ W1070 would be my recommendation. You need to wait until you move in, then decide what screen you need. I'm guessing a grey screen will be best. They are more expensive than white screens, but a cheaper projector and a better screen is going to give you better picture quality than expensive projector and cheap screen. Throw distance is a factor, ceiling height is a factor, number of rows, etc. Happy to help you once more once you move in, or have more details to share! :)

All the best!

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Thanks for the info. I guess I should wait until I know more. What would be a good grey screen? Couldn't find too many options on German Amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A562066%2Cn%3A569866%2Cn%3A316857011%2Cn%3A1382723031%2Cn%3A164829031%2Ck%3Aleinwand+grau%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2363995031&keywords=leinwand+grau&ie=UTF8&qid=1457090237&rnid=2206006031

Also you suggested a rather cheap projector compared to my max price range. So I assume projectors don't scale that well with extra cost?

Well, that depends... Spending more money on a projector gets you more colors, and you get higher contrast, that's about it worth mentioning. I use a Optoma HD141X. The BenQ is only slightly better picture quality wise. I'm personal waiting for the euro screen react to come back in stock, until then, I just project on to a wall. I'm only getting 78" diagonal from a distance of 2.5m, projector lens to wall. I will land on 77" if I use a screen. It's a little small for me, but compared to my old 32" TV? Wow is all I can say.

I may consider a different screen, because I'm tired of waiting, hah. I'll look up something, and if I find one, then I will tell you.

The best advice I can give you is to visit a home cinema store and ask them for a good screen. But they too are going to ask what color the ceiling is, etc.

Solution