Currently using i5-2500k 1155 LGA looking for upgrade advice

Shazma0527

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi All!

I currently run a i5-2500k LGA 1155 on an ASUS P8Z68V PRO GEN3 and looking to do an upgrade of the mainboard, processor, and memory.

I was debating on getting an Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1151 + ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard + G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB(2 X 8GB) DDR4 Memory 3000 and wanted to get some advice. Only looking to spend about $600 +/- a little bit...

Any advice is greatly appreciated ;)

I have an i5 2500K running in a different machine. Those were some of the all-time best Core processors Intel manufactured - before they started futzing with the TIM. You can, of course upgrade now, but I'll tell you that SKylake is still selling at a premium over the Intel MSRP - it's dropping fast as Intel is supplying more, but still, no need right now to pay over the odds.

Additionally, late Summer Intel will probably release the Kaby Lake processors (or at least announce them). Then Skylake prices may normallize.

There're also a few GPU announcements on the near horizon. All-in, unless you have a dire need to upgrade right now, I'd hold off and see how things shake out.

Not that the rig you're planning isn't great, it's just that you may be paying a tad more for it now than in a couple of months, or more problematic, the GPU may be a generation old by the time you've broken it in. ;)

Shazma0527

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Good info to know. I currently use a GTX970 for graphics. Will the proposed setup I previously put up be a significant boost compared to what I currently run? I spent $3300 on this computer that I have right now, but that was 4 years ago. I'm a gamer, and like ultra graphics - for the most part this machine I currently run is still pretty good, but some cases I have to drop graphics a bit to accomodate FPS issues in some games.

Oh also, I plan on buying the consumer edition of the Oculus Rift - (I own the DK2 and love it! looking forward to the sharper image of the consumer edition) - so that's another reason I'm looking to upgrade.

I guess my question now is, if I were to buy that setup - would the boost be significant enough to warrant the cost. It's tax refund money so it's almost like free money to me.. ;) (I know I paid into it, but you get the feeling)

$3,300? Is that US? If so, you overpaid by a LOT. The big push nowadays is for higher resolution monitors. and the 970 isn't great for that with the crippled RAM is uses.

I think Sandy Bridge is still just on the cusp of being eligible for replace/keep decisions. FOr myself it's a keep, but if you're itching, then you can replace. However, new graphics cards with improved VRAM comes out later this year. That will make a significant impact. That's when I think it will be more attractive to upgrade.