Best Monitor for my PC???

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
I am currently in a state of preparing to build my first PC. With that, I want a good display that will do my PC justice. I currently play on an xbox One, and my monitor is a Benq RL2455HM. While this monitor is fine for a console, I feel it would not produce the amazing picture that my new PC is capable of. Here is my PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DW7d3C.

I can use my current monitor for now, I don't really want to spend any extra money at the moment, but eventually I will get tired of switching off an on between my xbox and PC.

The monitor I currently play on is a 24 inch monitor. This is fine for me, but I am willing to try something new with my PC. I could seee myself moving up to 27 inches or staying at 24.

I will be playing all sorts of games from GTA, to racing games, to COD.

I don't want to spend a rediculous amount (under 300, but closer to 200 preferably) on a new monitor. Just enough to get me a great picture and fast enough speeds to not ghost. Please give me your suggestions and thank you very much.

Edit: A couple other things to mention, I prefer it not to be a TN, although I know they are the cheaper monitors. But It isn't a necessity. If a TN has absolutely amazing colors, I am all for it.

Secondly, AOC is an up and coming manufacturer. They are new, but deffinitely making a name for themselves. Since they are pretty new, I prefer not to buy AOC unless it is an absolutely amazing deal and the monitor has good reviews... again, not a huge factor, just a note.

Solution
Look at it this way. If you are mostly gaming, than getting a 144hz will make games smoother and more enjoyable. If you want to watch videos or look at pictures or something, then ips will look better. That TN, while not as good as an ips panel should still look pretty good, and an ips panel with less than 8ms response time is still going to be fine for gaming. If I had to choose between an IPS 60hz panel and a TN 144hz panel, I would get the 144hz, but then I am a big gamer, so it is really up to you.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Here's my best pitch(it's kind of subjective). A few years ago, I was using a 21" CRT display. I switched to a dell 24" LCD(TN panel), it was pretty nice I thought at the time. All the while using it, I had my eye on an Overlord Tempest(at the time, about the best thing going, and still a very nice display). When I got my tempest, I was in awe. Going from a 24" to a 27" is pretty grand. It has almost 2 times the screen real estate. My old dell was not bad, I used it at work at my old job and it was fine for a work display, but I will never buy a 24" again, unless it's a choice between eating and a 24" display. I suggest, before making a purchase to go to a computer store and looking at both a 24" and 27" screen. It might be worth the upgrade. After all, monitors are something we hold onto and use for a while(10 years possibly).

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
I totally get that. I am in highschool, though. I worked my butt off to pay almost 1300 for this build, and that hurt. So I kinda just want the best bang for buck I can get ATM. Maybe in the future when I have a much better job, I could go for something like a ROG or anything high end.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
That's good info. I see exactly what you're saying. When I was your age, I was using a 14" aoc that would run 1024X768 on only 16k color. We've come a long ways. BTW, I was playing Tie Fighter a great deal of the time(one of the very best games ever). Having a job is impressive in this day and age. You've had to work for that money, weird how it doesn't grow on trees, eh?
I like that AOC free-synch I sent you to with the first suggestion, but I'll look and see if there's another option.

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

Looks so elegant. Just to be clear, I like that AOC...because it seems to have great reviews, I just like to see all my options. I will continue to do research. Thanks!

kampy4

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015

If you don't want to continue switching, just buy an HDMI switch, all you have to do is touch a button and you have your console(or PC).

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
yeah but I am going to be multitasking. There will be times where i wanna look up stuff while I am using my xbox, or maybe I will be recording... who knows. Plus if I am going to have a PC capable of 4K, I want a decent colored monitor. :)

kampy4

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015

Ha, don't be expecting to be maxing out to many games at 4k... just use your BenQ for gaming and your other monitor for other stuff.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
970 is good, problem is, there's no G-synch in that price range(g-synch adds a bunch to the price, as opposed to free-synch, which doesn't). We'll look for the best monitor we can find in that price range, and you can add another monitor later for gaming.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

That's a good idea, it's not IPS, but that high refresh will play good for games.

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
Hmmm. Decisions... The problem with my current monitor is that the colors are so washed that people blend in on Cod. That is a TN, but it was also $170. Maybe the colors the asus or aoc above would be better, for a TN. If not, 4ms for an IPS isnt horrible.

RockyPlays

Honorable
Dec 16, 2014
Look at it this way. If you are mostly gaming, than getting a 144hz will make games smoother and more enjoyable. If you want to watch videos or look at pictures or something, then ips will look better. That TN, while not as good as an ips panel should still look pretty good, and an ips panel with less than 8ms response time is still going to be fine for gaming. If I had to choose between an IPS 60hz panel and a TN 144hz panel, I would get the 144hz, but then I am a big gamer, so it is really up to you.

Solution

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

Ok. Thanks!