Need Help! Display locked to 800x600 and full of lines

The Tipsy Joker

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I need some help, after a blue screen occurred yesterday my PC has had this screen since then, with many horizontal lines that duplicate themselves around the mouse and when something loads or performs an action. The resolution is also locked to minimum size like the graphics card is disabled.

I've reseated the graphics card (I don't have a second one), reseated the RAM, cleaned the system of any dust, done system restores aswell as a operating system reinstall.

I've reinstalled the Geforce driver, i don't know what to do. Some help from people who know situations like this would great right now.

I'm running windows 10, corsair vengeance 16gb ram, nvidia msi gtx 760,msi Z77 motherboard,intel i7 3770k cpu.

Here's what the pc looks like:
xNiircC.jpg

G1kLygj.jpg

Solution
Hmmm.... bad news is it might be the GPU - as in it's dead. Could also be the slot - Z77 means you should have a second PCIe slot which would fit your card (x16 physical, x8 electrical), did you try putting it in there?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Hmmm.... bad news is it might be the GPU - as in it's dead. Could also be the slot - Z77 means you should have a second PCIe slot which would fit your card (x16 physical, x8 electrical), did you try putting it in there?

Solution

The Tipsy Joker

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
i tried the other PCIe slots but no effect so it may be the gpu, i removed the graphics card and let the pc run without the card via the board. It's crystal clear and no signs of the problem at all. So it is likely wrong with card/cords.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Unlikely that it's the cords - if you're using the same cords to connect the display to the integrated graphics, then it's definitely the GPU. Since it's not under warranty any more, you could try this:

The baking method. (google it)

Sometimes you can get some electronic parts which through heat cycling and such combined with a slightly faulty soldering job can have the solder joints crack. What you do is effectively 'bake' the component, the solder reflows, restores the broken connections and voila, the part works again. Sometimes this works well, sometimes not so great.

Considering the only other option is to really throw it away, what do you have to lose? :) At the very least, if you kill it, you did it right... WITH FIRE. :)

TRENDING THREADS