Any way to stop windows 10 from updating the graphics driver?

Copasetical

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
I see similar issues, but not sure of an answer. I upgraded my graphics card driver after reading some of these posts about Windows 10 frustration, to the drivers on the nVidia Website, and installed GeForce Experience, and so on. Amazingly, games, video and everything else run wonderfully. The fan doesn't constantly spin, and my computer is all around better for it. Next day, my computer's hard drive is whizzing away, presumably doing W10 updates. Lo and behold, it's replaced (rolled back) my graphics card driver to the old kludgy one that was causing the problem. Now it's back to FAN, stutter, and slow framerates on my 940m all over again. I can reinstall nVidia's drivers, but it will only last till I restart the computer. I am not aware of any way to block a specific update, what can I do?

UPDATE: Thank you all for your help. I think perhaps a little more information might be useful. I had this happen on an older Win7 machine, where Windows kept overriding the touchpad and keyboard drivers with its own. It was annoying then too, because it kept losing settings (like disable when USB mouse is connected). I had to reinstall that driver each time, because I didn't really want to disable ALL Windows Updates. I know that was silly, but it was 5 seconds of reinstalling rather than having the machine restart and rollback the driver each time. I recall that there used to be a way to block specific (device drivers) updates, is this no longer the case with Win8-10? I suppose worst case would be to disable all updates as some of you had suggested...and then manually install the ones I need. Sadly, I already had "Defer Updates" selected, so that hasn't seemed to help.
This is not a brand new machine, it's a 2015 Envy m7/5500U with a 940m+intel5500HD gfx.

Hi,

Here's how you can disable the automatic update on Windows 10.
- Press the Windows key + R at the same time and type in gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Once open click on "Computer Configurations" and select "Administrative Templetes".
- Next is to select "All Settings" and look for "Configure Automatic Updates".
- Double click on it and select Disabled.

Hopefully this will help. :)

Wolfshadw

Titan

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, SR-71. Until I disabled that driver install in Win10, it continually gave my system fits. I figure it has to do with my old hardware, but still.

-Wolf sends

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

I was just stating in my setups , no issues ,all 4 run nvidia cards.

Everyone has a different situation.

Copasetical

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
I appreciate everyone's experiences. Of course, since computers are all digital, they will be exactly the same, right? LOL. Honestly it's helpful since I never know what I am going to encounter, and your experiences are telling me what to look out for. I still don't have it solved for good, but I will try again later. If I can't disable just one driver, I will use disabling it all as a last resort :)

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015
You can prevent the automatic updating of drivers by performing the following steps. Navigate to Advanced System Settings via Search in the Start Menu. Go to the Hardware tab. Select "Device Installation Settings." Click "No, let me..." then select "Never install driver..." Press Save Changes. Press "OK."

Copasetical

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
What I have done so far is to disable the device updates as some of your suggested, and *ugh* installed the HP support updater for the rest (oddly enough, it does work). The problem is that I DO want to update some of the drivers. Frame rates not all over the map any more, but after a Windows Factory Reset, the drive had 55% fragmentation (this is another thread entirely)! (I did not do the "recycle" method, just removed files). It's not where it's supposed to be, but a bit more zippy.