Need help interpreting log files.

Matttheriot284

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I have had this issue once before and followed tutorials on here to get this fixed and it worked at the time. But since it keeps coming back I was going to see if someone could interpret my dism log to see what is causing windows to keep corrupting itself and a possible fix.

I am having problems such as windows open and immeditely close. Super annoying and i am debating doing a fresh install. However I would like to avoid it if i can fix the corruption otherwise. Thank you for whoeevr you are
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is my dism log file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byo3KW64yw8FRFI0djB5WExzbEU/view?usp=sharing

here is my cbs.log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byo3KW64yw8FQlJBNFBPTWdDTTA/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your reading

Solution
No. If you most recently removed all the partitions during the install, and then it created 3 partitions, one recovery partition, one boot partition and the main C:/ partition, then that is the normal installation behavior for a clean install of Windows 10, so I think you're fine there.

Let's try this, run this, which I will make available to you temporarily as a download from my own domain as the Microsoft downloads suck and are unclear. This installer SHOULD include all the necessary driver and firmware updates. I make no claims as to what you should or shouldn't install, as I do not have an SP3 and cannot run the package to verify each specific items relevance or necessity. Coming from the SP3 product page, it should be accurate and...

moulderhere

Distinguished
parts of cbs log indicate windows update error, dism tries to clean up the update packages.

Just wondering have you ran bleeping computers system repair utility?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Matttheriot284

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
so turns out that program wors fine on windows 10. neat program. has a lot of useful features. found some things wrong with my comp but so did the sfc scan. So i just decided to do a restore from a system image downloaded from tech bench that was something like 7 gigs. It turns out that Iam still having the same issues. First scan I ran it was not able to fix the corrupt files. Males me wonder if its a hardware failure or something. My buddy said something about it possibly being a bad block in my ram that was causing it. Says it would cause issues with apps closing randomly and such. I have no clue. Is there any way to possibly troubleshoot this down to the component (if it is a component) such that I could prove it to a windows agent in order for a warranty repair, while I am still able to do so. Thanks for the help. I wish I could contribute to the community but its so comprehensive I dont know what good I would do. Maybe some day. Thanks again

You're a few builds behind in the update process. Latest build is 10586.184.

I would create install media for the latest build version and do a clean install, otherwise, you're likely to be chasing a solution 'til the cows come home. If after a clean install using the latest build version, you still have problems, then we can see what's going on as clearly there shouldn't be any issues after a clean install.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Absolutely. Get back to me if that doesn't cure the problem. After the clean install, pay attention and install maybe one application at a time, then check it out for a bit. Perhaps you can determine, if it happens again, exactly what is causing it. Keep an eye on windows updates too, it could be an update that doesn't agree with something else installed on your system or one of your hardware devices.

Matttheriot284

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I am concerned about the size of the file you linked me. Its far smaller than that of the surface pro 3 recovery drive iso that was linked to me by microsoft. Do you think i will run into problems. Can I download drivers onto for sp3 and add them to the usb drive that containts the bootable files for windows 10 that you sent me?

That is just the setup file that allows you to download the necessary ISO for installation, not the actual ISO itself. The ISO will be much bigger once downloaded and installed to either USB or DVD/CD.

That file is just to get you started. Just download it and run it, you'll see what I mean.

Matttheriot284

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
ok so here are the results. Reinstall went smoothly. First thing upon getting into windows I ran a sfc /scannow in elevated cmd prompt. It was quick and it checked good. I did first batch of updates on windows update and had some failures. Ran sfc again and its corrupt amd cannot repair. The failing updates were

System Firmware Update - ‎1/‎19/‎2016
Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Device manager has no driver errors
Winver now says Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164)

I set up a repair/replace for this sp3. Is rthis something they will end up sending back to me saying its fine. I realllly hope I dont have to reisnatll again and perform the monotonous task of installing every driver one by one. I dont know how i wuodl do that anyway. I was only able to let the first batch go. Then after restart I didnt allow the updates to start yet

When you did the install, did you choose the "custom" method, and delete the existing partitions, or did you just reinstall to the existing C:/ partition?

Or, did you just do an in place upgrade, installing over the top of the previous installation?

You may need to do a complete clean install if you still have the original problem. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the failed SFC/Scannow. I haven't seen a system yet that didn't fail it in one regard or another with problems that couldn't be corrected. You might also want to take a look at this, specifically the notes below method one on failures:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-sfc-command-run-windows-10-a.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't need to install all the drivers, win 10 looks at your pc and gets the drivers it needs. You may need to run windows update again after launch but last install it grabbed all my motherboard drivers, Nvidia drivers and sound without me doing anything.

All you need to do is load all your applications again.

win 10 fresh install took 1 hour max last time. Its no where near as time consuming as it used to be,

The native drivers used by Windows 10 are not always the best drivers available, and are sometimes simply generic all purpose drivers. There are many devices that Windows 10 doesn't even find drivers for. I'd install all of the recommended drivers available on the product page for your device. In some cases, drivers on certain hardware may even be manufacturer specific, if you want all the features available. Many times the generic microsoft drivers do not allow full featured usage from a device, chipset or component.

Matttheriot284

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

I did the custom method. Deleting all partitions, creating new partition on unallocated space, it then created 2 other small partitions, and I installed on the largest of the 3. It must BE that the drivers downloaded from windows update are generics because I remember seeing that along with failure in one of the logs I was looking at. Not sure what log or what I was looking for but I do remember that being the case. I have this docked up with 2 other screens, keyboard, mouse, and audio. Id bet that it was when I connected the usb for that docking station because it had to download like 5 or 6 drivers all at once. I just got lazy because I wanted to use my mouse. I am going to reinstall one more time and keep my wifi off. I will install all WINDOWS CRITIICAL drivers without letting it install my drivers for connected devices and see what that turns. It would be ok if that sfc /scannow was the only thing that was messing up but its more than that. Things like my taskbar clock being missing, my windows button not working, windows will immediately close upon opening, god forbid I let this this fall asleep. If it falls asleep and I have to wake it up, I jjust go ahead and restart it because the wifi will be extremely slow and things will be all screwed up.

Matttheriot284

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

Its not the reinstall I am trying to avoid, its all the sfc scans I am going to have to do between installing individual drivers.