weird thing just happened to my computer

Feb 19, 2016
Here's a list of events:

decided to switch on my computer, just like most mornings
made start-up noises, so far so normal
just about to turn on the monitor
made a noise from the CPU, sounded like it was shutting down
computer shut down (automatically)
computer started up again (automatically)
computer shut down again (automatically)
started up again (automatically)
it's fixed itself now but I'm wondering if there's something wrong or if this was a one off

Solution
Well I can't say for sure then. It may have been something like I've said, but as I said in my cases I was always told that an overclock had failed and asked if I wanted to continue with my settings or load the defaults. However all my motherboards were ASUS motherboards. I don't know how other manufacturers handle such things.
System specs would help. Overclocked or not?

I've seen this happen when the motherboard detects something out of range (memory, CPU voltage, etc) due to overclocking or some setting that's not default in the BIOS. I know on a couple of my ASUS motherboards it says after the sequence of events you've described, that it's recovered from a failed overclock attempt and asks me if I would like to load default settings.

Were you offered to load default settings when it finally POST'ed?

Feb 19, 2016

Like I said it's fixed itself and it's working fine but anyway, here's my specs good sir:

Processor: 3.00 GHz Intel (duo core) 2 cpu. (Not overclocked)
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GT 610.
Ram 4GB.

I know that you said it's fixed itself, but you still wanted to know if there was something wrong or if this was a one off. So before I put out there that the BIOS might have detected something it didn't like, I wanted to know if you got some message asking your if you wanted to load defaults. Every time I've seen this type of behaviour I was given the option to load defaults. Either because I manually set RAM speed, was overclocking, or in one case had unlocked a core on a Phenom II 550. Something didn't go right during the POST and I was given the option to load defaults. In those cases I just ignored the message and let it continue on the settings that I'd specified.

Feb 19, 2016

Nope, it didn't come up with any unusual messages, the desktop booted up perfectly normally after the on off on off thing

Well I can't say for sure then. It may have been something like I've said, but as I said in my cases I was always told that an overclock had failed and asked if I wanted to continue with my settings or load the defaults. However all my motherboards were ASUS motherboards. I don't know how other manufacturers handle such things.

Solution
Feb 19, 2016

'Tis a mystery then, nevermind. Anyway is there any chance you can help me with my Bluetooth headset? I've got a thread about it but so far no one has answered

Feb 19, 2016

I have tested the PC by connecting a friends laptop to it via Bluetooth and it worked. I also know the headset works as I've used them with my iPad before. So I don't know what else to do

Feb 19, 2016

The Bluetooth is a usb shoved into the back of the PC and the headset is a generic lidl branded silvercrest thing

PS: if you're not from the UK lidl is a discount store of German origin

Feb 19, 2016

All the drivers are installed and updated, the OS is windows 10 pro. I believe the adapter is a plugable technologies brand adapter

PS: Would you mind posting on the Bluetooth headset tread? Thanks in advance.

Can you post the link to that thread?

Feb 19, 2016

Click this and it'll wisk you off to the very thread you're looking for: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2993082/bluetooth-headphones-working.html