Linksys SE4008 WRT 8-Port Gigabit Switch Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I always liked how you can stack the old Linksys network products. Stacked the cable modem and Wireless. The problem with it was heat. Mine got really hot. The other problem is these are now Belkin products, not Cisco. Personally, I can't see myself getting cheap Belkin products.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
0.3ms is way too high. The tester must not be able to test as low as switches go. My min ping to my firewall is 0.008ms.

And how good is the tester for bandwidth saturation? The benchmark shows about 930Mb/s on the bi-directional test. I get 970Mb/s bi-directional through my firewall with NAT.

G

I've had a lot of Linksys old modems, voip, etc, and it was super cool that you would stack them one on the other, and looked great.

These don't look as good, and the "not a cisco" is a big deal to me. Cisco was the primary reason I bought Linksys in the past. I just buy tp-link these days. Asus is too expensive, but another option. The other brands are mostly junk.

nocona_xeon

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
(article quote): "The SE4008 WRT's specifications include a 128KB memory buffer, an 8000-entry MAC address table, an MTBF of approximately 853,300 hours and status LEDs for connectivity/activity (there's a switch on the back to turn them off). The unit utilizes the typical store-and-forward method of passing data along."
Linksys (during its "from Cisco transition") completely failed to provide an updated firmware that made a specific and rather popular product secure, which was now theirs (an "inherited" product so I guess they didn't care as much).
So, I dumped them. Likely over two, three years ago now.
I would rather pay the price premium for business quality devices rather than tolerate dropped LAN connections, "help desk" people who are told to say "That firmware update will be available soon" (which is no fault of their own - they're told to say that - but it always seems to happen when a new Linksys product is about to come out - ie Linksys abandons the older product after making promises).
And the longevity of 853,300 hours means what when older products are abandoned?

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
my unmanaged TP link 8 port does the job well and is much smaller. It easily allows me to run 100-120MB/s transfer speeds between several systems. Great addition to my Tomato N16. Best part is that it was $20 with prime shipping...

Managed would be nice for business but in the home do you really need it? My router already controls the network and I dont need Vlans. I guess for a lab I might want that.

G

Jumbo frames? Backplane bandwidth? Come on, do a proper review!

Status
Not open for further replies.