BenQ XL2720Z "144hz" isn't displaying 144hz.

Pimpsqueak

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Alright, I bought this screen some time ago, but I didn't notice the fact that my screen hasn't been displaying 144hz until now. I have tried looking around the internet and the options menu provided by BenQ, but haven't found anything to try and "activate" 144hz.
I found out about this thing when I was playing around with the Nvidia Controllpanel settings and notices that my refresh rate was capped at 60hz. I have a MSI Geforce GTX 980ti if it helps.
Any way to figure this out? It would be much appreciated!
Thanks for reading, have a nice day.
*EDIT*
I was stupid enough to not specify which cable the monitor is connected with, the very first comment pointed this out, but my monitor is connected with an HDMI cable (atm). But that is irrelevant as I found out about this 144hz/60hz thing when I was using a Displayport cable (supposedly better than HDMI). The Displayport cable did add a gray "hue"(???) or just gray colour over my screen, I "fixed" it by upping the contrast but it still looked pretty dreary.
tl;dr: I am using an HDMI cable.

Pimpsqueak

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

I was stupid to not add which cable I am/was using, ty for bringing it to my attention. I am currently using an HDMI cable, but I edited the original question to explain why I am using it.