Computer restarts with no warning or error message

Mitsurux

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Hi guys. First time poster and a long time follower. I recently upgraded my rig and for the most part, had very little issues. However I recently started playing FF14 again on my updated rig and started experiencing random restarts with no errors or blue screens.

I decided to look into Event viewer and saw a few things each time.

Event 7000 The asComSvc service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event 7009 A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the asComSvc service to connect.

Event 6008 The previous system shutdown at 9:46:25 PM on ?3/?5/?2016 was unexpected.

My Computer setup is

MSI x99A Godlike Gaming Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB SC+ GAMING w/ACX 2.0+ SLI

16 Gigs of Ripjaw ram running at 2666

Intel 5930k Overclocked at 4.7

4TB HD

120gig SSD

Running one-two Asus 144hz Monitors (typically just one) and a

x34 Predator 1440p 100hz

EVGA 120-G2-1300-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1300 W

This is a recently upgraded rig so everything is brand new. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I've seen overclocked CPU's that are Prime95 stable for literally days, BSOD, reboot, crash to desktop, etc while running games or just using Chrome. Any time you are having the issues you are having, the first thing to do is eliminate any overclocks. No one is entitled to an overclock, if you're lucky enough to have one great, if not, well that's just the silicon lottery.

So just because something is stable during benchmarking / stress testing, doesn't mean that it will be 24/7 stable. or stable under different workloads.

There is a slim possibility that it could be PSU related, but all you've done was remove a relatively insignificant (from the point of power usage anyway) overclock on your GPU's. I wouldn't expect this to...

Mitsurux

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Sorry I forgot that part!

EVGA 120-G2-1300-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1300 W

I should also add that the temps across the board never got hott. My GPUs would max at 70c under full load while running stressful games and the CPU cores never pushed 60c.

Mitsurux

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I turned off my minor OC on my GPUs of 50mhz core and 50 memory and let ff14 run overnight. The computer didn't restart at all. Could this be a PSU issue? CPU remains OC'd and flys through any benchmark i throw at it. GPU's as well during any benchmark i've thrown at it.

I've seen overclocked CPU's that are Prime95 stable for literally days, BSOD, reboot, crash to desktop, etc while running games or just using Chrome. Any time you are having the issues you are having, the first thing to do is eliminate any overclocks. No one is entitled to an overclock, if you're lucky enough to have one great, if not, well that's just the silicon lottery.

So just because something is stable during benchmarking / stress testing, doesn't mean that it will be 24/7 stable. or stable under different workloads.

There is a slim possibility that it could be PSU related, but all you've done was remove a relatively insignificant (from the point of power usage anyway) overclock on your GPU's. I wouldn't expect this to have reduced your power usage more than say 10W. Now it's possible that one your your graphics cards is unable to sustain that overclock, that is more likely than the PSU.

Obviously some more thorough testing is going to be required.

Solution