Two monitor setup (no video card)

EndlessZone123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Hi I have a computer with 1 male and 1 female vga plugs. How can I use two displays with it. I have a normal monitor and a touch screen monitor. Please help

Solution
Well physically there's some huge differences. The dvi plug itself has many more pins, so it's acts like the red/white/yellow plugs in the back of the tv, vrs straight cable. The signal gets split into its own wires vrs just a few. This means the signals are much clearer as they have their own bandwidth, not sharing. VGA is a very old system, its been around since the days when those huge CRT monitors were new. Consequently, its a very basic red/green/blue color scheme that'll handle 24 distinct colors. It's an analog signal. (think that's right). Dvi, hdmi and display port are all digital. They'll carry over a million distinct colors.

Honestly, at this point, it'd be worth it to spend the $20, buy a cheap video card that has 2x dvi...

EndlessZone123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016

What do you mean I/O?
I've got a DVI and a vga port and this other vga looking port that's reversed. It has a IOIOI thing on it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That backwards female port is a serial port. It was used for input / output devices like mouse or joystick or keyboards, even a primitive pc-pc connection. Not for video. That's what the VGA port was for. To hook up the 2 monitors will take both the dvi and VGA ports, I'd personally use a dvi cable from the touchscreen display to the dvi on the motherboard and a VGA cable to the VGA.

EndlessZone123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016

Is there a difference between Dvi and via? Anyway my touch only surpport vga but my normal display surpport both.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well physically there's some huge differences. The dvi plug itself has many more pins, so it's acts like the red/white/yellow plugs in the back of the tv, vrs straight cable. The signal gets split into its own wires vrs just a few. This means the signals are much clearer as they have their own bandwidth, not sharing. VGA is a very old system, its been around since the days when those huge CRT monitors were new. Consequently, its a very basic red/green/blue color scheme that'll handle 24 distinct colors. It's an analog signal. (think that's right). Dvi, hdmi and display port are all digital. They'll carry over a million distinct colors.

Honestly, at this point, it'd be worth it to spend the $20, buy a cheap video card that has 2x dvi connectors and use a dvi to VGA adapter plug on the touchscreen. You'll get a much better picture and since the gpu is dedicated, you'll not be using the cpu to power the picture. That'll keep everything running much easier, less heat, better quality picture, and better performance.

Solution