Win7 Shows Win10Pro Laptop on Network but Is Not Listed As An Option When Sharing Folders

sdhaku

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
My home desktop is a Win7 machine connected to other Win7 laptops around the house. I recently purchased a new laptop running Win10Pro. This machine shows up when looking at machines on the network. However, when I select folders I want to share specifically with this machine the Win10Pro machine does not show up in the drop down list. I could of course choose "Everyone" but I'd prefer to specify machines that can access my desktop.

How can I get the new Win10Pro laptop to be one of the options in the "Choose people to share with" drop down when sharing folders and files?

Solution
Sounds like you need to learn to use real folder sharing methods. If you don't use Pro, you might as well set up a homegroup. Otherwise, just go to the advanced sharing section in the properties and manually add the accounts you want to have access.
Sounds like you need to learn to use real folder sharing methods. If you don't use Pro, you might as well set up a homegroup. Otherwise, just go to the advanced sharing section in the properties and manually add the accounts you want to have access.

Solution