CPU usage 100% during gaming with new hardware

Hiv_shinobi

Commendable
Mar 6, 2016
So i recently upgrade to a i5 6600k and a gtx 980, while playing dota 2, or watching in game client, my cpu usage will go up to 70-80% and then max out at 100% usage. Now while playing ff14 my usage will go up to 85% to 100% and stay that way till I close the game. Ive ran HW monitor and msi after burner and everything looks fine. Temps look good, volts look good. But I still cant figure out why my usage would skyrocket to 100%.

Any help or tips or other advice to helps diagnose this will be greatly appreciated. i'm trying to run my setup optimally for the division.

st3v30

Admirable
I think your pretty much answered your own question.
When you play games your CPU usage is high.
When you are in idle,open Task manager and see if some process takes to much of CPU %.
You will also have 100% usage in The Divison,since that game can make use of more than 4 cores/threads.

Hiv_shinobi

Commendable
Mar 6, 2016
So nothing seems strange about 100% usage during dota tho or ff14? btw i appreciate the quick response!!

My old hardware which was a i7 2600 sandy bridge and a gtx 760, wouldnt go near 100% usage at all. :/

Hiv_shinobi

Commendable
Mar 6, 2016
I guess my biggest concern is the cpu maxing out and my fps takes a crap or cpu burns out from too much stress.

Do the FPS drop? If the temps are fine it will not burn out. Gaming is intensive on hardware and either the CPU or GPU (both if the PC has perfectly balanced hardware for the game) should be maxed out or close if you are running games close at the highest settings you can.