Can a broken DVI cable kill a graphics card?

daym0e

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
The other day my amd 390 broke suddenly after black screening. I couldn't get any display through the gpu but I could through the onboard graphics. So anyway I was able to send back this graphics card and get it replaced.

During that time I used my old graphics card and everything was working fine untill I turned my computer off and on again. The same problem happened, black screen and no display but I do get display from the on board graphics.

This didn't make sense to me as this was now 2 cards this has happened to.

Now I started looking around the pc to see what could be causing this and then I noticed something wrong with my DVI cable in my monitor. The actual covering of the cable had come off showing the metal part of the cable.

Could this possibly be what killed both of my graphics card?

Solution
The metal part of the cable is the shielding. If just the shielding is exposed there should be no problem. However, in all likelihood something more happened to the internal wires in the cable creating an intermittent short circuit which in turn shorted out something inside the GPU.

Replace the cable.
The metal part of the cable is the shielding. If just the shielding is exposed there should be no problem. However, in all likelihood something more happened to the internal wires in the cable creating an intermittent short circuit which in turn shorted out something inside the GPU.

Replace the cable.

Solution

daym0e

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Thanks for clearing that up for me, my guess is just like you said something shorted in the GPU due to the internal cable being broke.