Question about upgrading gaming PC and RAM compatibility

Blue42

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Hey, my friend gave me his old motherboard, and I just hooked it up. I was planning to upgrade it so I could run modern games, and I'm looking for some advice :cheese:

So here are my current specs:
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 925 @ 2.8 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 260 GTX 896 MB
RAM: 4 GB DDR3, which CPU-Z says that is @ 669.6 MHz, so that would mean that they are 1333 MHz right? Since it's dual channel? This is one of the things I'm looking help for, to find my ram clock.

I was thinking about buying a new GPU and more RAM. I was looking at a Geforce 750 Ti (2 GB) and this RAM module:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0069RXHF8

Would that RAM be compatible with my motherboard? I could combine the RAM so I would have 12 gigs, or is it not recommended to randomly combine RAM from different manufacturers (the RAM installed is by Apacer)? Also PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, right?

Also, would I be able to run modern games such as GTA V, Witcher 3, Far Cry Primal if I upgraded like this? Or is my CPU too weak for modern games?

Thank you very much :wahoo:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, CPU-z will report the channel also, so 669.6 x dual channel = 1333MHz.
Assuming what's installed is 2x2GB = 4GB, correct?

As far as RAM upgrades - it's not recommended to combined different makes/models/speeds/timings. That is why RAM is sold in 'kits'. Those are testing & confirmed to work together. Believe it or not, even 2 identical modules (sold individually) may not 'play nice' with each other.

Personally, I've never had an issue mixing & matching, but plenty others have.

Looking at that board, it supports "4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB"
That means that each DIMM slot can 'handle' a 4GB module.
I've worked on many rigs that "officially" only support 4GB per slot, but actually do work with an 8GB module - but there's no guarantee. Officially, an 8GB DIMM will not work.

Honestly, you'd be better off buying a matching 8GB (2x4GB) "kit" at 1333 or 1666MHz and replace the existing 4GB module(s). Those will definitely work together - and worst case scenario you'll have your rig with 8GB RAM (sufficient for most tasks in 2016)

From there, you could try to add your existing 4GB module(s) back, in the third/fourth slot - for 12GB. It will more than likely work, but there's always the possibility it will not.

This is similarly priced to the single 8GB DIMM you linked.
http://www.amazon.de/Crucial-Ballistix-Arbeitsspeicher-240-polig-DDR3-RAM/dp/B006YG94Y2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1457463667&sr=1-1&keywords=2x4GB

Blue42

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Thanks! Yes there are two ram modules installed, 2x2 GB.

Okay so the RAM you linked seems to be okay & I'm probably gonna go with it, I googled it and it says that it's "DDR3-1600", so it's 1600 MHz, not 1333 or 1666 ? Is it supported by my motherboard? If I would combine it with the existing RAM they would "downgrade" the performance to 1333 Mhz then? I'm sorry I'm not really that experienced with RAM :D

What about gaming performance, is the CPU still okay or will it struggle with modern games? I don't care about max settings, I just wanna be able to run the games decently :hebe:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1600 or 1666MHz are the same thing, marketed slightly differently - long story, but they're the same thing essentially.

Your board supports 1333MHz and 1600MHz, but you're correct, they will "downclock" to 1333MHz (the lowest common denominator). If you can find 1333MHz, 2x4GB, then go for it, but 1333MHz is becoming less common/available and more expensive as a result. Downclocking 1666MHz serves the same purpose (and will/should occur automatically).

As far as the CPU, needless to say, it's far from the best (considering it's from mid-late '09 depending on revision 1 or 2), but should still allow you to play most modern titles. CPU intensive tasks will struggle (in the latest games), but that can be solved with lower settings. It's still relatively viable for gamers who are only interesting in "playable" settings/graphics, and not too concerned with trying to hit high+ settings/FPS.

For your GPU, ensure you don't "waste" money by buying something that'll be significantly bottlenecked by the CPU.
The 750TI you mentioned or a GTX 950 would be good options. The 950 is the better performer, usually priced right around the same pricepoint as the 750TI.

There are AMD options too - but more power hungry. An R7 265 is better than the 750TI, and similarly priced:
http://www.amazon.de/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-2048MB-GDDR5-PCI-E/dp/B00IN71T34/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1457465296&sr=1-1&keywords=r7+265

Looking at Amazon though, an R9 270 from MSI can be had for similar too!
http://www.amazon.de/MSI-Gaming-2048MB-GDDR5-256bit/dp/B00GNT5VJC/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1457465296&sr=1-4&keywords=r7+265

Now, the R9 270 would be bottlenecked by the CPU, absolutely. But for similar pricing, it wouldn't hurt. And you could likely move it forward with you if/when you put together something else. (CrossFire potentially?).

Bear in mind though, an R9 270 can use up to 150W (at 100% load, which it wouldn't hit with that CPU) vs the 750TI's 60W & 90W of the GTX 950.

As a frame of reference, Witcher 3 with your CPU and an HD7850 (relatively comparable with the GTX 950):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LW_PUrvFxc

Looks playable to me. Depends on each individuals definition of "playable" though. The poster indicates the get a consistent 30FPS

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

My bad. Good spot. I guess "relatively comparable" was a poor choice in phrase.
I was more just trying to point out the type of FPS that could be expected. The 950 would perform better than the card used.
Saying that, if the OP ops for the 750TI, then they should still achieve "playable" levels (again, subjective),

Blue42

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Okay then, I'm definitely going with that RAM you posted!

Thanks for the GPU suggestions & info... I'm leaning towards the 750 Ti since it has low(est?) power consumption and seems like a good value for money. It also seems to have a VGA port, which is a plus since I'm still using a CRT monitor (imo even modern LCDs just can't compete! & I firmly believe in "don't fix it if it ain't broke") Witcher 3 looks absolutely amazing! I would be very satisfied with performance like that... can't wait :love:

A thousand thanks to you :hihi: