Formatted HHD, not able to boot.

bandgeek05

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
It was a beautiful day for a PC upgrade (or so I thought). So I went to a local retail big box store and got me a new motherboard and CPU. I am having issues booting up to windows. I previously had Windows 7 pro (64-bit). When I tired to boot from that drive, I would get a blue screen along with an error message: 0x0000007B. So I figured I was going to keep having issues and I will need to do a fresh install of windows. The problem is that I bought this machine with a bootleg windows installed. So I knew I was not going to be able to use the same operating system.

So what I did was: I Plugged my drive to a different machine and I reformatted the drive. I then bought Windows 10 home (64bit). I used window's media creation tool and downloaded it to my newly reformatted drive. I assume this will allow my computer to boot off that drive ( although to be honest I don't know if that's how it works.) Well I plugged my hard drive to my new machine and it takes me straight to bios. I try booting off the drive, and it take me back to bios again.

I have built a few machines from scratch and almost never encounter any problems. I like to learn and research different ways of doing things and figuring things out myself. However this is not my system and I need to get it fixed as soon as possible. I am pretty sure I am doing something very wrong or I might be missing something, I would very much appreciate if i can get some assistance! thank you for your attention!

Solution
You need to download the Windows installer to a USB drive (or DVD) that you install windows from, not the actual HDD. You then boot off that drive and install from there.

bandgeek05

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Yeah, I had a good feeling that it wasn't going to work with a hard drive. I did manage to find a blank disk and am now in the process of installing windows Thanks a lot! I appreciate your information.