Seeking advice on upgrading my current system

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Hi,

Seeking some advice on upgrading my PC.
I understand that in 2016 there will come new hardware. But since no one knows the date and price for this new hardware, I seek advice for how to upgrade my current build best possible, at this time.

My thoughts are something like a new gaming motherboard + some 16gb DDR4 ram + a good CPU for OC. And a cool full tower.

Budget 800 - 1000 GBP.

I am a bit green, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Current build:

Screen = AOC 2770 144hz
Board = Gigabyte p67a-ud3-b3
CPU = Intel Core i5 2500k (OC 4,4 ghz)
CPU Cooler = Noctua NH-D15
GPU = MSI GTX 980ti (OC)
Ram = G.skill 8 gb DDR3 (800 mhz)
SSD = Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb (with OS)
SSD = Samsung 850 EVO 500 gb
OS = Windows 10 Pro
PSU = Corsair TX650
NZXT LEXA SMidi Tower

You actually don't need to upgrade your motherboard, or CPU. DDR4 RAM has proven to give you a small bump in FPS, but is it really noticeable? Is that enough to justify upgrading? The CPU is fast, you're basically on par with a Skylake CPU, which is the current best, because you've overclocked your i5 2500k. You have a GTX 980 Ti, that's a very powerful GPU, NVIDIA's best apart from Titan X for more 'productivity'. I honestly wouldn't want to upgrade a build like yours. I feel like it would be a waste of money.

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Of course, I am only looking for a upgrade that would make sense, when looking at my current setup. It is just that I have had this setup (motherboard+CPU) for some years now, and would love to secure my setup for the next couple of years. But if there is not real reason/power to gain at this time, then I will stay with this some time yet. Just some games, and when streaming 4k to my tv, the CPU hits 100% - like playing a game like GTA 5, the ram and CPU works overtime. And I were thinking, if I could upgrade now, for future games which will demand more.