Wi-Fi Adapter Keeps Failing - Custom Build W10

astranberg

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Hello Everybody!

I am desperately trying to fix my PC's Wi-Fi issues, and I am hoping you can help me.

Symptoms:

When computer boots up, "Wi-Fi 3" adapter is offline. I have to manually turn it on.

After an unspecified amount of time, my wifi says "No internet, secured," and I am connected to it. At this time all other wifi networks in my neighborhood or invisible. I can only see the wifi that I am connected to (but w/o internet access).

Eventually, the adapter seems to "crash." What I mean by crashing is that it turns off, and I can't turn it back on (I use an elevated shortcut via cmd to turn it on and off).
    Rebooting takes me back to step 1, then step 2.

Possibly related / unrelated symptoms:

I was having trouble installing a W10 update. I had to go through a series of steps to reset the update or delete some WindowsUpdate.old file (something along those lines). When I went to restart my computer (to update), it eventually told me it encountered a problem, and to google "power_driver_state_failure." I restarted the computer a few times and it turned back on.

Attempted Solutions

Windows Network Diagnostics.

Usually says to plug the ethernet cable in, as if it doesn't realize I have a network card. Then I hit "try something else," and sometimes it fixes the Wi-Fi 3 adapter problems, sometimes it doesn't.

Resetting Wi-Fi 3 adapter via elevated cmd.

Reinstalling driver from manufacturer.

PC Build
Windows 10 Installed Clean, w/ no OS ever installed before.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tr-X OC Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $800.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-09 14:52 EST-0500

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Adam

Solution
Hello astranberg

Can you please try this:

> Right-click the Start button and click Device Manager from the context menu.

> From the Device Manager snap-in, expand Network adapters.

> Right-click your Wi-Fi network adapter and click Properties from the context menu.

> From the NIC's properties box, go to the Power Management tab.

> Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox.

> Click OK and close all the opened windows and boxes.

> Restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved.

In order to rectify any other booting issues, you can try Running the SFC /SCANNOW Command and if the problems still persist, you may want to try...
Hello astranberg

Can you please try this:

> Right-click the Start button and click Device Manager from the context menu.

> From the Device Manager snap-in, expand Network adapters.

> Right-click your Wi-Fi network adapter and click Properties from the context menu.

> From the NIC's properties box, go to the Power Management tab.

> Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox.

> Click OK and close all the opened windows and boxes.

> Restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved.

In order to rectify any other booting issues, you can try Running the SFC /SCANNOW Command and if the problems still persist, you may want to try Resetting Your Windows 10 to Factory Defaults with or without removing your personal files.

Cheers!!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS