Where to start in the IT industry?

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I have been working on the A+ certification so far and already have a non-computer related degree (while I doubt that would help me find a job.) However I hear many negative things about the A+ certification in regards to its help in getting into the field. Most seem to imply that hardware technicians are a replaceable position is also poorly paid. I would like to know where to go after getting A+ certified (I know that it is debatable of it's worth, but I figure it will not hurt as a first step.)

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Well I am open to anything I can learn, right now my interests (and current skillset) is in computer repair (I know a lot about repair, but no certifications,) but I would like to expand on that as that alone I hear is a dead end, with a low pay cap (like $10 an hour.) I have looked for entry level jobs even in that area and some places want bachelors degrees etc.. As to my market I am in Houston, and no I am not wanting to move (which I know limits me some.)

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
I have considered what USAFRet has mentioned. Maybe I am just discouraged by some I hear. Right now I have put out my resume even though I have no experience and just the claim of the fact (with no evidence) that I have built my own wired network and have troubleshooted several computers several times (working on my fathers business machines as well as friends.) I figure I have nothing to lose. I also built, maintain, and tweak my own machine regularly.

I have looked for some entry level jobs, one place has contacted me, not sure if they were just messaging me to say they got the resume though. After all my resume has little on it other than sales jobs (not computer related) and claims of knowledge I cannot prove without relations to family. I do know some places want someone with a minimal level of experience, but passion for the work, that is definitely me.

The only other thing I have is a 2 year Associates of Social Science degree, but I doubt that means much in IT :p. I mostly did it to lock in the credits so the school could not take them away if I wanted to go for a 4 year degree.

Corroded as to where specifically I want to go I am hoping to go from hardware into networking (I have looked at Careerbuilder and the stuff some of these employers are asking for us to know is stuff I have never heard of before. It is kind of overwhelming.) Basically I am looking for jobs I can get through eventually experience (when I can attain it) and certifications. At this point that is part of the problem there is so much out there it is kind of overwhelming. Back in the late 1990's when I first attempted to get into this field it was much simpler, and much easier to get into. In many ways I regret not taking it more seriously then.

USAFRet

Titan

Any semi-rational 14 year old can do that.