Sign in with
Your question

œ✯ Under $1200 : Building a desktop for MUSIC PRODUCTION ✯

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2009 5:45:26 PM

:hello:  I'm planning on building a Desktop PC for under $1200 (+ or - $200). The purpose is STRICTLY for music production. I'm not even going to put the internet on this (I will have a separate PC for surfing the internet/music, etc).

I'm very new to computers and hardware and I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can make the best choices possible.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Everything will be bought before Christmas. Budget: under $1200 (+ or - $200).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Strictly for music production...No internet, no music, no movies, etc

PARTS NOT REQUIRED I already have a SOUND CARD. I have an Echo Mia Midi.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.Ebay.com, www.newegg.com, www.craigslist.org (whichever one has the cheapest price with a quality product that's not refurbished)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've heard that INTEL and AMD are the best (leaning toward INTEL, but open minded to AMD). I've also heard that ASUS makes good products, but I'm still very open minded. I want something with good ratings by consumers.

Here are the specs I am leaning towards:

RAM: 8 GB RAM (I'm not sure about DDR2 or DDR3. I've heard most people say there is no point to switch over to DDR3 right now)
PROCESSOR: 2.6-3.0 GHz

OVERCLOCKING: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not too knowledgeable in this area

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
The computer doesn't need to be extremely quiet because I don't have a microphone, but I don't want it to be loud because in the future I might start recording. So a moderate quietness is preferred, but defineately one of the least of my worries.

- I don't need Firewire (my soundcard is PCI so no need for firewire and I don't plan on getting a firewire soundcard).
- At least 1 eSATA port
- At least 3 USB ports
- no integrated video cards
- no integrated sound cards (if possible)
- no inegrated ethernet (if possible)
- no 'EXTRAS' on the motherboard
- Not sure about what to think about DDR2 vs DDR3. Most people say DDR3 doesn't really make a difference for it's price. What do you think?
- I eventually want to get dual monitors
- I plan on getting Windows 7 64 bit unless anyone has something bad to say about it

thanks for the help!
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2009 6:09:16 PM

cpu: Intel i7 920 ~$279
ram: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 ~$120
motherboard: Asus P6T ~$230
video card: ATI 5770 ~$160
PSU: Corsair 750watt ~$120
case: Any mid to full tower ~$100
CPU cooler: stock cooler $0
Building your own rig: priceless
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2009 6:28:12 PM

^ Good build. Since the OP isn't playing games, he can drop the PSU down to a Corsair 650TX or 550VX or even a 450VX. OP can also drop GPU to a 4670/4650 possibly a fanless type.

As for case, the Antec P180 is a good quiet case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$85

Quote:

- Not sure about what to think about DDR2 vs DDR3. Most people say DDR3 doesn't really make a difference for it's price. What do you think?

Since DDR2 prices are almost the same as DDR3 prices, may as well go for DDR3.

Quote:
No internet, no music,

1. Isn't this a music production build?!?!

2. How do you plan to get Windows/program updates?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2009 6:45:39 PM

Integrated sound and ethernet are pretty standard now, it would be hard to find a board without one. As far as I know music production does not leverage the GPU, so I would go for a passive cooled 4650. You might consider the P6tSe since most of the difference between it and p6t have to do with multiple graphics cards and overclocking. 6GB of DDR3 memory should be enough, most programs can't use more than 3 or 4 anyway.
m
l
November 14, 2009 6:54:39 PM

If your aim is only music production - I expect you could half your budget and still get a rig that will do everything you need
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2009 7:02:50 PM

Yeh, a cheap dual core rig should suffice.

CPU: E5200 ~$60 or Q8200 ~$140
Motherboard: 775 motherboard ~$80
RAM: 4GB DDR2 ~$70 (DDR2 prices have been going up for some odd reason on Newegg & Amazon...Microcenter sells 4GB for $50 though)
GPU: ATI 4850 ~$100
PSU: Corsair 450watt ~$60
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2009 8:25:02 PM

^LGA775 is dead. Better go with a Phenom II X3/X4.
m
l
November 14, 2009 11:29:55 PM

Quote:
No internet, no music,

1. Isn't this a music production build?!?!

2. How do you plan to get Windows/program updates?[/quotemsg]

1. I meant no music from iTunes, etc.

2. That's a good point! :pt1cable:  I never thought about that...I guess I will have to get Ethernet on the motherboard. thanks for pointing this out :hello: 
m
l
November 14, 2009 11:43:22 PM

jamesgoddard said:
If your aim is only music production - I expect you could half your budget and still get a rig that will do everything you need

Music production is pretty CPU intensive...I can't think of anyone who has a computer made for the purpose of music production who doesn't have a Quad Core.
m
l
November 14, 2009 11:46:41 PM

So everyone here suggests DDr3 Ram? Or is it not necessary?

I want to know a little bit more about processors and motherboards. I just want to make sure I pick the right one. I've had a couple of people suggest the Intel i7 (one of them being bluescreendeath above).

thanks everyone!
m
l
November 15, 2009 5:14:47 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
cpu: Intel i7 920 ~$279
ram: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 ~$120
motherboard: Asus P6T ~$230
video card: ATI 5770 ~$160
PSU: Corsair 750watt ~$120
Building your own rig: priceless

The only problem with the P6T is that it doesn't have any regular PCI slots (my sound card is PCI). It only has PCI express
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 10:58:25 PM

^In that case, get the P6T SE, which has 2x normal PCI. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

edit: Just checked specs for P6T, it says it has 2x PCI slots.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
So everyone here suggests DDr3 Ram?

Considering DDR3 prices are about the same as DDR2, get DDR3.

Quote:
I've had a couple of people suggest the Intel i7 (one of them being bluescreendeath above).

The i7 is a great CPU, but for it to truly shine, your software should be multi threaded. If it's not, I'd go with a Phenom II X3/X4 and save some money.

PS: If you live near a Microcenter, you can grab the i7 920 for $200.

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 11:02:21 PM

One more thing, have you considered upgrading your MIDI card? I don't know much when it comes to this area....
m
l
November 16, 2009 1:59:22 AM

Shadow703793 said:

The i7 is a great CPU, but for it to truly shine, your software should be multi threaded. If it's not, I'd go with a Phenom II X3/X4 and save some money.

What does multi threaded software mean? I used Ableton Live 8...Is that multithreaded?

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 2:08:58 AM

For music production:
Top CPU(i7-920) + Top M/b(P6TD Deluxe) + Top cooler(Prolimatech Megahalems) + crap GPU(9500GT) and then OC the CPU to 3.6GHz for 24/7 usage!
m
l
November 16, 2009 3:13:07 AM

andy5174 said:
For music production:
Top CPU(i7-920) + Top M/b(P6TD Deluxe) + Top cooler(Prolimatech Megahalems) + crap GPU(9500GT) and then OC the CPU to 3.6GHz for 24/7 usage!

thanks for the suggestion! Is this what you use?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 3:23:58 AM

Nah, because i7-920 is way too expensive at my location.
m
l
November 16, 2009 12:13:42 PM

Shadow703793 said:

PS: If you live near a Microcenter, you can grab the i7 920 for $200.

I checked microcenters website ( because there is one in my area), but I didn't see the i7 920 on their website :(  Does that mean they don't have it right now?

If I choose to buy the i7 920 on craigslist, is there anything specific I should look for? Was there a previous version of the i7 that had a defect or anything of that nature?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 9:35:59 PM

Quote:
I checked microcenters website ( because there is one in my area), but I didn't see the i7 920 on their website :(  Does that mean they don't have it right now?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

It is available in my area(Virginia, 102 in stock lol). What location are you looking at?

Quote:
If I choose to buy the i7 920 on craigslist, is there anything specific I should look for? Was there a previous version of the i7 that had a defect or anything of that nature?

As long as the box seal is not broken and it is the D0 version and NOT the C0 version. (Main difference comes down to overclocking ability mostly). D0 code is: SLBEJ. Imo, I wouldn't buy a "used" or open box CPU for a build such as this as you never know what the CPU has been through.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 9:40:49 PM

bigbonthabeat said:
What does multi threaded software mean? I used Ableton Live 8...Is that multithreaded?

Live 8 is multithreaded for certain things (according to some posts on a the net; and the next version should have MUCH better multithreading), so yes, go for the i7.
m
l
November 16, 2009 10:51:44 PM

Music production isn't as CPU intensive as most people think, the reason most recording engineers get top end parts is so that the computer has a long life. A high end machine will easily last you 5 years if you're doing nothing but recording and producing.

You're going to want a large ram pool, I would go with 12GB as a minimum. When you get into using ~100 tracks, you're going to need it. DDR2/3 doesn't make much difference honestly, but since you're probably going to want an i7, DDR3 is your only choice. I run with 3GB and only do really simple recordings, never going over about 20 tracks and I max out my ram.

Get a good after market CPU cooler and run it on low fan speeds, that way when you do start recording like you said you might, it wont show up on the tracks.

If you're getting a dedicated graphics card, get one without a fan like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If the case you buy has a built in fan, you could either change the fan speed (if possible, many fans can't be changed easily) or swap it out for a low speed fan like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly, get a quality PSU (like the corsair ones linked by previous posters). Even if you wont need more than 400w, a nice quality 750w will mean there is zero possibility of failure due to drawing too much power. The last thing you need is for a crash to happen after 4 hours of work without saving - believe me, sooner or later you'll forget to save and something happens. If you're going to be doing production for a studio, then get an un-interruptible power supply (UPS) just in case - don't want to loose money because of a blackout lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 11:38:47 PM

^+1 on a fan less GPU and a UPS.

However, I do not agree with you on music production not beign CPU intensive. I use Sony ACID (and some times Sony Vagas at the same time) and when I have multiple things open, on my E8400 there is noticeable lagg (under Vista, haven tried on Win 7 yet) while on the i7 there isn't any lagg.

As for RAM, I think 6GB is a good starting point. RAM can always be added when needing more.

@OP: Forgot to mention, consider sound damping for the case and good silent fans from Yate Loon or Scythe and a fan controller.
m
l
November 17, 2009 1:03:53 AM

I am not an expert on Ableton since I only started using it last week when it came with my new Xonar D2X soundcard.... but I can verify that many tasks on Ableton Live 8 will indeed use multiple cores as mentioned by others.

On my machine in one of the busiest "tutorial" sets it will sometimes display about 35% (at the most) on the "ableton CPU usage meter". The regular CPU utilization percentages at that time are about 6%-10% for each core at the same time.

Reading around the net it appears that the most important thing to consider for performance of this application is probably going to be the hard disk speed. You might seriously consider a Western Digital Veloci-Raptors; although a good fast SATA2 drive might be fast enough. I would not recommend RAID because your budget won't allow a hardware based IOP raid card. Built in "fake" RAID on most motherboards will probably not be acceptable for your use. (And creating a SSD setup large enough might be above your price range.)
m
l
November 17, 2009 1:05:05 AM

Well, I suppose it depends on what you're doing then. Personally, the only things that use a fair amount of CPU usage for me are applying EQ settings, and a few effects (most don't seem to tap the CPU all that much). Applying an EQ to a long track may benefit from a fast quad I suppose, but other than that, I never really use any global effects, so maybe it's just me. Then again, I've only been using audacity, so maybe I'm just not serious enough lol

+1 on the sound dampening. If you're going to go the silent route, make sure everything is silent. You should be able to fit an SSD into your budget since you're not getting a powerhouse GPU.
m
l
November 17, 2009 1:37:42 AM

keithlm said:
I am not an expert on Ableton since I only started using it last week when it came with my new Xonar D2X soundcard.... but I can verify that many tasks on Ableton Live 8 will indeed use multiple cores as mentioned by others.

On my machine in one of the busiest "tutorial" sets it will sometimes display about 35% (at the most) on the "ableton CPU usage meter". The regular CPU utilization percentages at that time are about 6%-10% for each core at the same time.

Reading around the net it appears that the most important thing to consider for performance of this application is probably going to be the hard disk speed. You might seriously consider a Western Digital Veloci-Raptors; although a good fast SATA2 drive might be fast enough. I would not recommend RAID because your budget won't allow a hardware based IOP raid card. Built in "fake" RAID on most motherboards will probably not be acceptable for your use. (And creating a SSD setup large enough might be above your price range.)

Is a Seagate 7200 RPM, 32 mb cache good enough ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 3:56:30 PM

^+1.

Btw, you can get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the Intel X18-M (80GB) for $190 with this code: EMCMMMV43

PS: I haven't seen any benches for the X18, so if any one has them I'd like to see the benches. Also any one know if this is the G2? This is probably the cheapest Intel SSD (considering the <$200 price after MIR).
m
l
November 18, 2009 3:43:26 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

It is available in my area(Virginia, 102 in stock lol). What location are you looking at?

Quote:

As long as the box seal is not broken and it is the D0 version and NOT the C0 version. (Main difference comes down to overclocking ability mostly). D0 code is: SLBEJ. Imo, I wouldn't buy a "used" or open box CPU for a build such as this as you never know what the CPU has been through.

Why is it so much cheaper at Mircocenter?
m
l
November 18, 2009 3:50:54 AM

HibyPrime said:
If you're going to be doing production for a studio, then get an un-interruptible power supply (UPS) just in case - don't want to loose money because of a blackout lol

thanks for your post :D  Can you show me an example of an un interuptible UPS ?
m
l
November 18, 2009 3:53:21 AM

running a protools set up here bro, IF youre doing dedicated music only on that rig either AMD or Intel is fine If you wanted to get more into mics and outboard stuff and cut costs id do a 64bit AMD setup with 8gb and a moderate gfx card You dont need anything that costs 100 dollars there , an igp would do ok but discrete would leave lots of headroom for hardware and software dsp's.

8gb of ram is bottom line needs for serious music imo to cut latencies on dsp's maximizing that would mean going i7 since its execution times are much faster , but you pay alot more and as I said an IGP would do for an audio setup but you could kill an intel IGP performance with a 60 dollar radeon. That frees up system ram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2009 3:55:45 AM

bigbonthabeat said:
Why is it so much cheaper at Mircocenter?

I worked at Microcenter. The deal is that they're trying to convince you to buy an entire computer-set up - motherboard and all, when you buy the CPU. You don't have to, but paying 5-10% more at Microcenter usually beats waiting a week or two for parts to arrive.
m
l
November 18, 2009 4:00:49 AM

HibyPrime said:
Solid State Disk. Basically it's a much faster and 100% silent hard drive.

It's also a lot more expensive, a decent SSD will run you ~$200-300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/MiaMIDI/index.php decent specs ,what is the recording software? cubase,abelton or cakewalk?

I wouldnt get anything more than the os and recording software needed there since its price prohibitive and really only means a certain percentage of added dsp latency reducing headroom. he could wait on that , I have been recording on hdd;s for almost 10 years , and its not that bad, when you start adding fx and tracks it does become apparent that every speed boost helps, but with sdd price per gig the guy really couldnt maximize utilization , hed wind up doing a session and then mixing and moving to an hdd.

Heres what id go for
64bit vista professional
AMD phenom2 720
am2+ am3 ready mobo
8gb ddr2 with a cas of 4
multimonitor capable gfx card, because when youre mixing, one monitor sucks. or a very large monitor, id slowly build toward 3 monitors.Id say to makee life easy the baseline would be 22 inch monitors, if you buy 2 now and a third later you could center the third and buy a larger one for that purpose as it will be where your mixer UI will most likely be and you can offload the channel ui and midi etc to the 22's.
min 512 gddr on that card
maybe a 40gb ssd just for the operating system and the recording software and one or two mix master sessions while moving the unimportant sessions and finished sessions to the hdd . You could think about 10k rpm storage hdd;s but for the cost it is very debateable that moving files 10=30% faster is worth it.
1tb HDD with plans for an NAS backups are huge in audio studio work. You always want your files backed up which is why the NAS would be good. IF there is a critical system error and you crash youll be happy that you backed up tracks after recording rather than buying a file resoration program and spending hours using it.
out fit a rackmount as a case if you know your modding if not get a cheapo and spend good money on a solid psu brand.Id do a pcp&c with about 15-20% more wattage than you need for longevity

Forget the power backup just get a very good quality power conditioner or surge suppressor

reason id do the 720 is that six core cpus will be out soon , get a mobo that can take one, and youll be happy you did, audio dsp's are pigs in robust sessions (12+tracks)

Learn to oc and put that 720 @ 3.2 Thats a mild oc and will help alot, its actually a really good chip. Wait on 3ghz 6core chips sell the 720 on ebay and get the 6 core. 6 cores will go a long way towards distributing processes to free up headroom for the processing and you could set all of your programs to 2 or 3 cores while setting the recording setup on 3-4 cores id do 2system 4recording.
m
l
November 18, 2009 2:34:46 PM

verndewd said:
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/MiaMIDI/index.php decent specs ,what is the recording software? cubase,abelton or cakewalk?

I wouldnt get anything more than the os and recording software needed there since its price prohibitive and really only means a certain percentage of added dsp latency reducing headroom. he could wait on that , I have been recording on hdd;s for almost 10 years , and its not that bad, when you start adding fx and tracks it does become apparent that every speed boost helps, but with sdd price per gig the guy really couldnt maximize utilization , hed wind up doing a session and then mixing and moving to an hdd.

Heres what id go for
64bit vista professional
AMD phenom2 720
am2+ am3 ready mobo
8gb ddr2 with a cas of 4
multimonitor capable gfx card, because when youre mixing, one monitor sucks. or a very large monitor, id slowly build toward 3 monitors.Id say to makee life easy the baseline would be 22 inch monitors, if you buy 2 now and a third later you could center the third and buy a larger one for that purpose as it will be where your mixer UI will most likely be and you can offload the channel ui and midi etc to the 22's.
min 512 gddr on that card
maybe a 40gb ssd just for the operating system and the recording software and one or two mix master sessions while moving the unimportant sessions and finished sessions to the hdd . You could think about 10k rpm storage hdd;s but for the cost it is very debateable that moving files 10=30% faster is worth it.
1tb HDD with plans for an NAS backups are huge in audio studio work. You always want your files backed up which is why the NAS would be good. IF there is a critical system error and you crash youll be happy that you backed up tracks after recording rather than buying a file resoration program and spending hours using it.
out fit a rackmount as a case if you know your modding if not get a cheapo and spend good money on a solid psu brand.Id do a pcp&c with about 15-20% more wattage than you need for longevity

Forget the power backup just get a very good quality power conditioner or surge suppressor

reason id do the 720 is that six core cpus will be out soon , get a mobo that can take one, and youll be happy you did, audio dsp's are pigs in robust sessions (12+tracks)

Learn to oc and put that 720 @ 3.2 Thats a mild oc and will help alot, its actually a really good chip. Wait on 3ghz 6core chips sell the 720 on ebay and get the 6 core. 6 cores will go a long way towards distributing processes to free up headroom for the processing and you could set all of your programs to 2 or 3 cores while setting the recording setup on 3-4 cores id do 2system 4recording.

thanks for this awsome post man, but I've got a couple of questions

I like the suggestion of the 40 GB SS HD : )
But I don't like the suggestion of the triple core...I definately want a QUAD core, but it doesn't have to be Intel...I'm willing to get an AMD (maybe Phenom II X4 ?).

How do I know which Mobo supports 6 core? Is there a spec that indicates this ?

What brand of power conditioner or surge suppressor do you recommend? Or does it make a difference?

What is NAS ?

How do I figure out how much wattage my system will require?

Why do you recommend vista? I've heard good things about Windows 7.
m
l
November 18, 2009 3:12:46 PM

well you can get what ever you likeon a cpu I made the suggestion of the x3 in lieu of bargaining till 6 core. It may require am3 ddr3 on that I am not studied well enough.

Ever since bing was introduced for IE they have sucked for getting decent search content. I am looking for that info.

figure your psu needs here http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

NAS is a network access storage, pretty speedy if you go with an atom powered home server not that its a requirement but you get to build up to or over 4 tb of storage which would go quite a ways for storing alot of session work.

That card isnt expressly supported by windows 7, otherwise id say go for it. or ditch it for a card that does since 7 is alot better than vista. I persoanlly hate vista. either way youll need a 64 bit OS to enable all that memory.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16187/1/ looks like am3 for preparing for 6 core
m
l
November 18, 2009 3:38:48 PM

Dual monitor

quantity of item 1
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129042
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$69.95
$59.95
select item 2 quantity of item 2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148433
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$99.99
$89.99
select item 3 quantity of item 3
Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
Item #: N82E16824254035
Return Policy: Monitor Replacement Only Return Policy -$30.00 Instant
$359.98
$299.98
($149.99 each)
select item 4 quantity of item 4
BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813138163
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options13-138-163|hide options13-138-163)
Service Net Replacement Extended Warranty Plan
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info13-138-163.0.18)

1 year: $10.99
2 year: $16.99
$79.99
select item 5 quantity of item 5
POWERCOLOR AX3650 1GBD2-V2 Radeon HD 3650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814131169
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options14-131-169|hide options14-131-169)
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info14-131-169.0.18)

1 year: $6.99
2 year: $11.99
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate14-131-169 $44.99
select item 6 quantity of item 6
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817341016
Protect Your Investment (expand for options17-341-016|hide options17-341-016)
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info17-341-016.0.18)

-$25.00 Instant

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate Card17-341-016 $89.99
$64.99
select item 7 quantity of item 7
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse - OEM
Item #: N82E16823109156
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $21.99
select item 8 quantity of item 8
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145261
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $239.99
select item 9 quantity of item 9
AMD Phenom II 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX925WFGIBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103656
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $140.99
select item 10 quantity of item 10
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116758
Return Policy: Software Return Policy $139.99
select item 11 quantity of item 11
PQI DK9320GD3R000A03 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
Item #: N82E16820141419
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options20-141-419|hide options20-141-419)

Subtotal: $1,282.84
Calculate ShippingZip Code: . FedEx 3Day Express Saver -- $184.85FedEx 2Day -- $279.31FedEx Standard Overnight -- $336.43UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service -- $10.46UPS 2nd Day -- $156.92UPS Next Day Saver -- $195.22 GO Shipping: $10.46

The issue I see here is with the TDP of the mobo AMD 125W processor support I think optimally you want the 140 w for over head. especially considering 6 core for future upgrade. If youre really stuck on staying under 1200 id ditch the ssd for now. Youll really appreciate 2 monitors when mixing and recording, it will create a more fluid workflow. could save money by using a 3300 series gfx card and doing hybrid crossover for the third monitor.
m
l
November 18, 2009 4:15:38 PM

No ssd 40$ mail in rebate
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106289
Protect Your Investment (expand for options27-106-289|hide options27-106-289)
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info27-106-289.0.18)

$28.99
select item 2 quantity of item 2
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129042
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$69.95
$59.95
select item 3 quantity of item 3
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148433
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$99.99
$89.99
select item 4 quantity of item 4
Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
Item #: N82E16824254035
Return Policy: Monitor Replacement Only Return Policy -$30.00 Instant
$359.98
$299.98
($149.99 each)
select item 5 quantity of item 5
BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813138163
Protect Your Investment (expand for options13-138-163|hide options13-138-163)
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info13-138-163.0.18)

$79.99
select item 6 quantity of item 6
POWERCOLOR AX3650 1GBD2-V2 Radeon HD 3650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814131169
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options14-131-169|hide options14-131-169)
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info14-131-169.0.18)

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate14-131-169 $44.99
select item 7 quantity of item 7
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817341016
Protect Your Investment (expand for options17-341-016|hide options17-341-016)
The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge(more info17-341-016.0.18)

-$25.00 Instant

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate Card17-341-016 $89.99
$64.99
select item 8 quantity of item 8
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse - OEM
Item #: N82E16823109156
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $21.99
select item 9 quantity of item 9
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145261
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $239.99
select item 10 quantity of item 10
AMD Phenom II 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX925WFGIBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103656
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $140.99
select item 11 quantity of item 11
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116758
Return Policy: Software Return Policy $139.99
Subtotal: $1,211.84
Calculate ShippingZip Code: . FedEx 3Day Express Saver -- $186.54FedEx 2Day -- $281.95FedEx Standard Overnight -- $339.69UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service -- $10.98UPS 2nd Day -- $158.82UPS Next Day Saver -- $196.34 GO Shipping: $10.98

Redeem Gift CertificatesClaim Code:Security Code: Redeem Gift Certificates: $0.00
Apply Promo Codes: Enter up to 5 promo codes, Please note that stacking is not permitted.
Promo Code: Apply
(For Example:code1,code2,code3,code4,code5)
Promo Code: $0.00
No Interest for 12 Months on orders over $999 with your Newegg Preferred Account.
Plus, New Newegg Preferred Account Customers: Save $20 off 100.
Subject to credit approval.
Grand Total: $1,222.82

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2009 12:17:59 AM

Quote:
looks like am3 for preparing for 6 core

So is Intel on their X58/LGA1366 (aka Core i9).

And +1 for 2nd LCD esp. if multi tasking.
m
l
May 9, 2010 7:24:41 PM

hi i built a laptop for gaming/music production and it can run every game maxed out with ease, but music production is more demanding on ram if you use samplers. mine has 6gb ddr3 ram, and it's nice, but trust me, get at least 8gb ram because i've actually ran out of ram when i tried to load up 3 patches of strings.
m
l
!