What is most important for a gaming headset?

streetspirit1991

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Hi,

As the title states I'd like to know what do you guys take into consideration when purchasing a headset? Is it price, build quality, sound quality, looks?

I want to know what factors you've considered for the headsets you've chosen as I'll be purchasing my first one soon!

Thanks,
F

king3pj

Distinguished

Looks are pretty much the least important thing to me since I'm typically sitting in a room by myself when I play games.

The most important things to me are comfort, sound quality and mic quality. Comfort is something you can't overlook since you will probably be wearing this headset for hundreds, if not thousands of hours.

My previous headset was a Turtle Beach XP400 wireless headset with Dolby 5.1 sound that I originally bought for Xbox 360 but ended up using it on PC later. Unfortunately this headset was uncomfortable and made my ears sore after an hour or so of gaming so I basically never wore it unless I was playing a multiplayer game with friends and needed voice chat. I just used computer speakers all the time instead.

I upgraded to a HyperX Cloud headset about 6 months ago and I think it's better in almost every aspect. I can wear it all day without any discomfort. The sound quality is noticeably better. Even though it's only a stereo headset and the Turtle Beach was Dolby Digital 5.1 I think the positional audio is just as good. I can still tell where enemies are coming from when they are out of sight by hearing their footsteps. This is proof to me that surround sound in headsets is a gimmick.

The build quality is better than my old Turtle Beach and my friends say the mic sounds good. Plus the HyperX Cloud is about $100 so it's cheaper than the Turtle Beach and Astro headsets I was comparing it to before I bought it.

I will say that the Turtle Beach XP400 had one feature that I really miss on the HyperX Cloud. The Turtle Beach built in mic monitor was awesome. Basically this outputs what the mic is picking up in your headphones so you can hear yourself. It sounds very natural. There is no audio delay and my voice sounds like it normally would if I wasn't wearing a headset.

I find that when I am wearing my HyperX Cloud and I have the gameplay turned up to the volume I like I sometimes can't hear my own voice over things like gunfire. It doesn't seem like that would be a big deal but I find it really disorienting. This post has actually got me thinking about it enough to try to find a way to monitor the mic using software since it isn't built into the headset.

king3pj

Distinguished

That headset is currently $15. I'm all for getting a good deal but I also believe you get what you pay for. I have a hard time believing you are going to get a quality headset for that price.

BlueFireZ

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
I find build quality, sound quality, and mic quality very important, as I don't want to be spending money on something that sounds bad or will break with a drop or two. I like really clean looks so all those gaming headsets like the Sades mentioned above are a no.

When I'm buying a headset I usually start off with looking for headsets in my budget , then shortlisting the ones with good sound quality and mic quality, then out of those the ones with good build quality, and finally choosing the one with the best looks. Now this doesn't always work, and I sometimes switch the order around to find something that I like better but is still good.

That was long ago though, I've switched to headphones and a external mic since I'm getting the best audio and mic quality this way.

Hope this Helps!

G

Well I got a good quality headset for that price ;) the mic is great but not fantastic, sound quality is nice and the headset is mind-blowing for its price as I said when I edited the reply, I can hear people's footsteps when they try to sneak up behind me, even one of my friends reviewed this headset and said the same thing and put it on that webpage.. Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9apVBlDkuNM

Thanks...