Using an SSD in my car. Immediate powerloss when turning off car. Bad idea?

S2G-Unit

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Just curious if anybody has noticed any problems using their hard drives (SSD, Ext. HDD etc) with a Nexus 7 +OTG cable, CarPC etc in their car?

When we turn off our cars, the hard drives get an immediate powerloss.

Will it cause an issue for an SSD that is playing music & suddenly looses power because I turn my car off?

Over the years I have always used iPod's in my car & never had a problem because when you turn your car off, the iPod does not turn off. It goes from the "do not disconnect" sign back to the main menu. That way the drive in the iPod is more properly protected than a regular hard drive when turning your car of

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This should not be a problem for the SSD. The same thing happens when you power down a PC. Just power down the system/device before turning the vehicle off (or connect it to a live power connection and power off at your convenience).

Good luck.

S2G-Unit

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

Thanks but with my setup my SSD will be connected to a 12v powered USB hub, which is connected to my car's ignition. So as soon as I turn the car off my USB hub will turn off along with the SSD.

My Nexus 7 tablet is connected to a DCDC USB & also turns off with power.

What do you guys think?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The SSD should be okay, but the sudden loss of power could result in corrupted files in time. I think you should look at how you power your devices to minimize the likelihood of creating these kinds of issues. Just a thought.

S2G-Unit

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Nope won't be writing any information when turning the car off. It will be an SSD used for playing my media files.

What about using an ipod for media as an external drive (regardless of cost etc)?

When using an ipod in apple firmware or rockbox it just usually has a "do not disconnect" sign. When you turn your car off or disconnect the ipod, it just goes back to the main menu. So is that a safer option considering it does not have thw shock sudden power loss?

Sure!

In my 2010 Honda, there is a USB plug and if I plug in my iPhone, it knows there are playlists and knows track1, track2 etc but there is no metadata information. "Fancier" cars have better iPod interfaces that display the metadata. For this reason I simply use my iPhone's BT interface and have a BT receiver in my car, everything is wireless and I get to see all the metadata info right on the phone's display.

S2G-Unit

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

ok, sorry I wasn't clear. I won't be using the ipod to an oem connection or bluetooth. It will be connected to my OTG cable + USB Hub with my nexus 7. I will just read the files off the ipod in Android.

The question is really is the ipod a better idea to prevent corruption because it does not suddenly shut off when I tur nthe car off since it goes back to the main menu/idle without having immediate powerloss compared to an SSD?

It does because the portable device never shuts off, it just go to sleep.

You are over-thinking, just do it.