What is my career outlook?(entry level)

Jonatron5

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
With graduation coming up in about a year my head is filled with nothing but questions of finances and job expectations. I got a buddy who one year after graduation signed on with a tech firm for 60k a year.

Now I am majoring in IT straight out of school what are my career expectations looking like?

Like realistically what sort of jobs would i be able to land?(im really hopeful for programming), how much i would make my first year , what sort of room for advancement would there be, if any?

I absolutley do not want to get stuck at techsupport.

I have heard its not uncommon for IT and COMP-SCI guys to make 50 grand out the door.

But everyone tells me thats unrealistic.*(admitedly there not in the tech feild)

Are jobs in IT that lucrative out the door?

I only know one person that graduated so far but he made it with a decent salary so im hopeful

Solution
In general:

Get the degree. This piece of paper means a better salary. If you like coding, then that's all the better. You'll make more money. Strong background in math is recommended. Become good at what you do. Maybe become a white-hatter. First year out, you might be working crap jobs. But you'll do well if you excel in college. Quit worrying. Jesus, man! With the way things are moving these days, every job on earth will soon be an IT job. Get a job at Valve. Rumor has it that Valve employees get to do whatever they want. Email Gabe Newell and tell him that you want to start writing Half-Life 3. When you're finished, you'll be the most beloved IT professional in the world.

DCrypted

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Well, coming from a guy that dropped out of college because I had already landed a job in my field of study. It depends on where you live mate. I'm in Texas and I work at a local repair shop, I do onsite network and computer work. I have been here for 3+ years and I make 30k. Which in Texas, for a 21 year old with no degree is pretty damn good. I'd bet you could get 50k or close to it with a degree, dependent on your location and the demand for IT professionals. Especially if you're going to be a programmer.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
In general:

Get the degree. This piece of paper means a better salary. If you like coding, then that's all the better. You'll make more money. Strong background in math is recommended. Become good at what you do. Maybe become a white-hatter. First year out, you might be working crap jobs. But you'll do well if you excel in college. Quit worrying. Jesus, man! With the way things are moving these days, every job on earth will soon be an IT job. Get a job at Valve. Rumor has it that Valve employees get to do whatever they want. Email Gabe Newell and tell him that you want to start writing Half-Life 3. When you're finished, you'll be the most beloved IT professional in the world.

Solution