what happens to windows 8.1 to 10 update after 07/28/2016?

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I despise windows 10. I was forced to upgrade two days ago. The stupid pop up had been happening for months and I was able to just disregard it. Where was the option NOT to upgrade to W10!? Eventually it somehow froze my windows update because it gave me no option to install other important updates without installing W10. I got that fixed eventually and stayed on 8.1 for a while longer. They made the force-upgrade even more forced recently. I had to either hard shut off my PC by holding down the power button (not good) or to install W10. So I did.

I have a $2,000+ PC and it's slow as shjt now. I have almost no programs etc installed. It's not my fault. It was fine with 8.1. I don't even want to get into the BS of hacking the registry and changing all these things around to try and get it faster I have read about others having the same upgrade problem, I would rather just spend the $100-$200 and buy the OEM windows 10 and do a full clean install after support ends for 8.1 in 2018.

I bought (forced like all XP users) 8.1 and got used to it and it wasn't so bad after a while. Of course the whole new GUI was not welcomed. If it 'aint broke don't fix it. We are used to doing things and navigating by second nature and then they go and change that. They really are shjt heads who program this stuff. A highschool computer class could do better.

And this W10 is like spyware, it auto set me back on the group network and has my location and everything public like they want to put a tracking device up your azz. Few people want that especially by default. It's all marketing BS and of no favor.

so anyways, since I upgraded to W10 from 8.1 does this mean after 07/28/2016 it will auto roll back to 8.1 and I'd have to purchase W10? I hope so and I'd just keep 8.1 until the support ends in 2018. I would also DBAN and completely wipe my SSD to rid it of anything W10 and then reinstall my OEM 8.1 CD. Or will it stay as W10 after 07/28/2016 until I reformat again?
After 07/28/2016, can I reformat back to 8.1 and the god damn pop up to force W10 install will never show up again, right? I hope so. MS sucks and Apple sucks, you can't win.
thanks

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
It's no longer FREE \ the upgrade to 10 after that date.

If your on 10 over a month , you are tied to Windows 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware
Keep this handy.

How the Free Windows 10 License Works

The free Windows 10 license Microsoft is providing to upgraders works differently. Microsoft won’t issue you a Windows 10 product key. Instead, when you perform an upgrade from within Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1, the upgrade process registers a unique ID associated with your PC’s hardware on Microsoft’s Windows activation servers.

In the future, whenever you install Windows 10 on that same PC, it will automatically report to Microsoft’s activation servers. Microsoft will confirm that the PC with that specific hardware configuration is allowed to use Windows 10, and it’ll automatically be activated.

This isn’t actually made clear in the installation process itself. To clean-install Windows 10 on a machine activated in this way, you have to continually skip all the product key prompts while installing it.

This automatic process only works if your PC has the same hardware it had when you upgraded to Windows 10.

"so anyways, since I upgraded to W10 from 8.1 does this mean after 07/28/2016 it will auto roll back to 8.1 and I'd have to purchase W10."

That's not what it means. Now that Windows 10 has been installed on your computer, it has been digitally entitled to your hardware. You can even do a clean install of 10 and it would auto activate for you. And the sluggishness is likely caused by startup objects. Try opening task manager (control+shift+escape) and navigating to the startup tab and disabling anything that you don't need to run in the background. Be aware that disabling a program at startup does not mean it will stop working when you open it.

Also, it could also be caused by the old installation of 8.1, if you open disk cleanup (open the start menu and type disk cleanup then press control+shift+enter to run as admin) and clean up the previous windows installations, it'll delete Windows 8.1. And by doing so, any of Windows 8.1's startup objects that are consuming memory will no longer cause an issue for you.

USAFRet

Titan

It will remain Win 10, theoretically forever.
You can rollback to 8.1 today if you so desire. You have 27 days left to decide.

Now...about your programs. I have not seen what you experienced on any of my Upgraded Win 10 machines.
"Keep everything" did exactly that. Nothing changed except the OS.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Enough of this nonsense, I rolled back last night to 8.1.

I found some fixes to stop the forced W10 download. I did check a few months ago but apparently not good enough, I thought there was no way out according to what I read, The ones I found look like registry hacks though so far I hope to not need to do but I'll figure it out tonight.

Immediately after I rolled back the forced download started back up. A countdown timer for an hour until restart and install. I was on the computer longer apparently and it restarted without warning and starting installing again. I knew if I chose the only other available option to 'schedule for another time", it would probably force it and restart with no way to back out so I didn't select that. I forced shut off the $2,000+ PC by holding power button and now I have to shut it off like that because I can't shut down or restart without updating first. Get real.

USAFRet

Titan
"Forced update" means you are allowing automatic updates to your Win 8.1.

Yes, when the monthly update comes in, the Win 10 is automatically selected.
If you have it set to automatically update, it will do this.

If, instead, you have it set to ask you...you can deselect that Win 10, and run the rest of the updates.
This is how my current system is set, and will not Upgrade to Win 10 until I tell it to. Probably quite soon, actually.

If you want windows 8, reinstall windows 8. No big deal. Use there revert function, or your original window 8 install media.

As for the 30 day window to revert to your old OS, I'm not aware of anything that prohibits you from reverting at a later date. You just have to do it manually.

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 10 FAQ:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Can I go back to my old operating system?
Yes, there are a few different ways for you to go back from Windows 10 to a previous version of Windows:

If it's been less than a month since you've upgraded to Windows 10, you'll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery.

If your PC manufacturer provided the option, you might be able to restore your device to factory settings.

If options to go back and restore factory settings aren’t available, you can use installation media and a product key to install a previous version of Windows.
--------------------------------------------
Link leads to here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
Go back to your previous version of Windows

For a month after you upgrade to Windows 10, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.
To go back, you'll need to:

Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders after the upgrade.

Remove any user accounts you added after the upgrade.

Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).

Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).