Monitor disconnects from PC randomly

Chaoman12345

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013
Hey guys, I'm sure the answer to my question is already out there on some other thread but I've been searching for awhile now and couldn't find a solution.

A few months ago I began to have problems with my monitor randomly disconnecting whilst playing video games such as CSGO or league of legends. The first time it disconnects is always just randomly while I am playing a game, however after the first time if I reboot and try opening the game again it instantly disconnects. Around a month ago I tried cleaning out my PSU, and ever since then I didn't have any problems; until today.

When the monitor disconnects I can still talk to people in voice chat, and use my keyboard and mouse, however the monitor goes black.

I also recently purchased a new BenQ XL2411Z monitor, however my problems began way after I first connected the new monitor.

Thanks so much for the help, it is really appreciated!

Solution
The cause can be how you have your power plan settings in windows set.

Try setting the power plan in windows to High.
And set the graphics card to never sleep.
Do the same for your monitor set it to never sleep.

The other problem that can happen is what the refresh rate is set to in windows for the monitor you are using and at what resolution you have it set to.

For example if you right click on windows desktop.
Click on screen resolution, then click on advanced settings in blue writing.
You will see a tab List all modes.
You may have two resolutions at the same display bits, but one will be set at 60hz while the other may be at 59Hz.
try the 59 Hz setting if the prior set resolution was 60hz.
See if the signal stays locked on your...
The cause can be how you have your power plan settings in windows set.

Try setting the power plan in windows to High.
And set the graphics card to never sleep.
Do the same for your monitor set it to never sleep.

The other problem that can happen is what the refresh rate is set to in windows for the monitor you are using and at what resolution you have it set to.

For example if you right click on windows desktop.
Click on screen resolution, then click on advanced settings in blue writing.
You will see a tab List all modes.
You may have two resolutions at the same display bits, but one will be set at 60hz while the other may be at 59Hz.
try the 59 Hz setting if the prior set resolution was 60hz.
See if the signal stays locked on your monitor.

The last thing can be a lack of power to the card at random times from your psu in the system.
And in some cases when a graphics cards Gpu core gets to hot it terminates the video signal to the monitor.

So you should check the heat of the gpu when at windows desktop and when running a game, with coms running.
check the video cable from the tower to the monitor, making sure it is firmly connected to the video card and the monitor input.

Try if using the cable and you are using the Dvi port of the graphics card another dvi port if provided.
Or try another video cable.

Solution

Chaoman12345

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the fast reply Shaun, I have checked the power settings, refresh rate, GPU heat, and the DVI cable connecting my computer to my monitor. I'm assuming the only thing left that it could be would be my PSU? A few times after the monitor disconnected I have checked the heat of my PSU and it felt hot to the touch. I would also assume that it was my PSU based on the fact that once I opened it up and cleaned it out it worked for a few months perfectly.

PS: My PSU is two years old and is a LEPA G750-MAS. My GPU is a gtx 970, and I am currently running 1080p 144hz on my monitor.