Dare I risk upgrading my Sony Viao VPCF22C5E Laptop from Win 7 to Win 10? Advice please

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
OK I was sent the free Windows 10 upgrade.
The question is should I take it.? And what is the risk?

The problem is Sony sold Viao and sold all but the most recent users down the river!
My laptop is not supported on Windows 10! no drivers etc. Never will be! Nice eh? £1,200 laptop with no future.
It was also a Custom build i.e. You picked the core components, and ticked boxes; in my case for the Best of 3 Full HD Screens 1080p, the better Onboard GPU, upgrade to 8Gb Ram, fastest 7,200 disc, Bluray Read-Writer, backlit keyboard etc.

It's in immaculate condition, eg never used keyboard or trackpad etc. Never moved around. Always sat on a fan assisted cooler.

I would like to sell it to help fund my new Super Workstation, ( when ... if that ever it works? Problems there and the Supermicro MB just been RMA'ed etc.)

My thoughts are upgrade the Laptop to Windows 10, if it works great - so its more modern, plus in the interim I only need to use one OS. I hate switching to and fro.

I did convert the HDD to a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD, and that really improved things.

Another more commercial question would I get any of this SSD money (£124) back or should I revert the system back to the original HDD? I could use the Samsung in the new Workstation.
( I also have the caddy to convert the Bluray bay into a second HDD so I could leave the Sammy in as the OS drive and put the 500GB Tosh HHD in that bay, i.e. Making it a 1TB Laptop.
I suppose I would then need to buy and put the bluray drive into another external USB caddy).

Or is it better finacially just to put it back to std. Get less money and use the Samsung in my new workstation ( always useful having another fast 500GB SSD.)

Note if I could get £100 more for the Laptop with the Samsung then ideally I would prefer that, as I would then use the money towards a second Intel 750 PCIe SSD, and use that in the Workstation. If I would only get £50 more for the Laptop, I would just put back the HDD in the laptop and move the Samsung Evo to the new Workstation.

Thats The background.
The question is if I take out the current samsung SSD with the OS working perfectly, and try Windows 10 on the old 500GB HDD say something doesnt work, would Windows 10 change the BIOS or some other firmware? I.e. In the event of a nightmare can I just pop the SSD with Windows 7 Sp1 back in and recover everything, or is there a risk the Bios is wrecked or some firmware is changed and I end up with a nice black Brick!

If it does change firmware settings, would doing a full reload of the original factory Windows 7 put everything back to standard?

If I was sure I could always go back, and it would boot up with a working copy of Windows 7 I would try it - but if there was any risk, then I dont think its worth the hassle.

I do have a retail copy of Win 10 on a USB stick for my new workstation. Is it true that once I have accepted the Windows 10 free upgrade on the Laptop, that I can do a fresh install on the laptop and use this USB stick ( effectively to get a clean fresh install rather than a migrated upgrade) and Just not put in the product key of the retail pack, and somehow my free upgrade license key will automatically get linked to the laptop? I hear this free upgrade is locked to the motherboard somehow - is that true?

Could any kind person explain all the risks of trying Windows 10.
I should add I am a novice.

The Sony Viao spec is :- 2011 September.
VPCF22C5E.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz Turbo 2.0GHz
8GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M with 4 GB RAM and 1 GB Dediicated Video Ram
See benchmark 664 at
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+540M&id=
Blu Ray DVD Writer - Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD03
500GB Toshiba 7,200 rpm HDD.

Solution

That's impossible. The worst that will happen is that you need to reinstall Windows 7. That's it.
If there's no drivers, you risk system instability.

For now, try running the default drivers from the nvidia website and seeing if your system is stable. If it is, Win 10 will probably work just fine, though you won't know until you try.

If you want to try upgrading, simply make a full backup of your system and then use the win 10 upgrade tool.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Thanks thats great news :):)
Worth trying then .

TRENDING THREADS