Windows 10, Out of Range error

Randall1160

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I recently had an issue where a games settings accidentally somehow got changed and applied it to my whole computer when I changed it to full-screen. The defaults it set were ~800x500 (or something of the sort) and 75hz.
My monitor is only 60 and is now constantly getting an out of range error as soon as it hits the log in screen,

Here is what I tried already:
other monitors, even 60hz, work totally fine
uninstalled and did a clean reinstall of display drivers (did not solve the issue)
using other 3rd party programs to force a refresh rate (nvidia display panel), but also did not work

I was going to try safemode, with the problem monitor attached, but I'm not sure if I can edit the rez, and if it will stay and apply during a normal startup.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Solution

Ah I didn't know that. Good to know for future use.
The issue was though, I couldn't get past my login with the problem monitor as it would give me an out of range as soon as it got past the startup logos and all that. I couldn't even see my login screen actually.

I did just solve it though, funny enough as soon as I went and posted this topic I did one last try and got it lol.

For people who might stumble across this later I'll show my steps on how I solved it...
Right click your desktop an select Display Setting. In that window click Advanced Display Settings. Scroll down and select Display Adapter Properties. Click the Monitor tab and set your refresh rate to 60Hz. You might have to do that for all the resolutions you use.

Randall1160

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Ah I didn't know that. Good to know for future use.
The issue was though, I couldn't get past my login with the problem monitor as it would give me an out of range as soon as it got past the startup logos and all that. I couldn't even see my login screen actually.

I did just solve it though, funny enough as soon as I went and posted this topic I did one last try and got it lol.

For people who might stumble across this later I'll show my steps on how I solved it as I couldn't find updated topics for 8 or 10:

1. I attached a small backup monitor (I used my TV before but that was to much of a hassle to swap constantly)

2. I then went through the several step process of putting windows 10 into safe mode, specifically low res mode (option 3)
(Safe mode Walk-through for windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode)

3.I then swapped monitors while it was still in low res mode and on the desktop (side note: unlike normally, it seems low res mode does NOT detect a monitor change, even when I tried doing a force detect in advanced display options)

4. After I got my problem monitor attached and working, while still in low res mode, I went through the process of putting the PC into low res mode again.

5. When the PC restarted, the PC had now detected the monitor change, but was running in low res mode and worked properly. I then changed all my display settings and restarted the PC normally.

Everything seems to be in working order now.
(if a mod or someone can mark this as solved that be super)

Solution