Should I install Windows 10 on my SSD before installing old HDD's?

Titration

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
I'm currently building a new PC from a bunch of old parts to replace the old family PC. The old drives are running Windows XP and I'm just wondering if it's smarter to install windows on the SSD before installing the HDD's.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
Leave just SSD in and install Windows on it. There are cases when BOOT gets spread on another drive (specially when there is already OS on another drive). Just few days ago I had to solve a case where just windows on secondary drive got updated and no full boot from primary SSD.
It's time honored tradition.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it might be safer to just have ssd in by itself and then add them after win 10 installed.

I mean, you can install them all and do a custom install of win 10 so you can make sure it installs on right drive but its just easier the other way.

Titration

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

Thanks for the help! :) Gonna wait for some more answers to be sure on what to do :D

Leave just SSD in and install Windows on it. There are cases when BOOT gets spread on another drive (specially when there is already OS on another drive). Just few days ago I had to solve a case where just windows on secondary drive got updated and no full boot from primary SSD.
It's time honored tradition.

Solution

Titration

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

Ok, I will install windows on the SSD, thanks for the help!