How to install Windows 10 64 bit over Windows 8.1 32 bit

Atanukarmakar

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
When I was going to start installing Windows 10 64 bit on my Windows 8.1 32 bit that time a new window opens and says "Your current version of Windows is 32 bit and does not match the architecture of the 64 bit installation media. Please insert the 32 bit media and restart windows setup.
So now what is the way to install it ?
Please help me.....

Solution
You can't upgrade, you have to do a full reinstall. Put that installer media into the computer, restart, and select the installer from the boot menu (read your computer or motherboard's manual for instructions). That should let you continue.

If you have not updated and are trying to use the free upgrade, you need to first upgrade using 32bit Windows 10, activate, and only then reformat and install 64bit
You can't upgrade, you have to do a full reinstall. Put that installer media into the computer, restart, and select the installer from the boot menu (read your computer or motherboard's manual for instructions). That should let you continue.

If you have not updated and are trying to use the free upgrade, you need to first upgrade using 32bit Windows 10, activate, and only then reformat and install 64bit

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Either way, it will require a full install.
"Switching requires that you perform a new installation, that means files, applications and settings will be deleted.
You will have to reinstall applications and native 64 bit drivers. "

If you know your current 8.1 license key, you can install the Win 10 64bit, and activate it with the 8.1 license key.
You have to boot from the Win 10 install media, and run it that way. You can't start from within the running 8.1 32bit instance.

"Need" was a strong word. The actual thing is that it's MUCH easier to simply upgrade once and then reformat, since you won't need to put in a cd key and it will automatically activate.