I want to uninstall Win10 and install Win7

Dustin97

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
I am currently running Windows 10 on my PC. Windows 7 was the original OS installed and I used the free upgrade to Win10. It's long past the 30 days Microsoft gives you to revert back so that's not an option for me. I really want to go back to Win7 however. How would I do this? Could I download the Win7 ISO files from Microsofts website, burn them onto a disc, and install windows 7 on my PC that way? With a product key of course, I know how to get one. Would I need to uninstall 10 first, or just pop in the win7 disc and have it do the work?

DrRedstone

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

This alternative is less time consuming, but you would lose all your data. Find the "Reset my PC" option in PC settings and click it, make sure not to click full format, and click quick format/reset. Then just wait a while and you should have windows 7 back, but like a fresh install.

1) That will NOT work after 30 days in most cases
2) That is NOT faster
3) That will most likely result in a broken install and require a full reinstall from disk again

Dustin97

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016

I'm fine with losing all of my data. I don't really have anything important on here anyway. So this wouldn't require a product key or installation disc? The windows 7 installed on my PC was an OEM version so would that still work?

You still need a product key. If it can be done you don't need a disk, but most likely you can't do it as most manufacturers don't include a full recovery partition (HP does on almost everything, but Dell only does on some units)

As for the download, I haven't tested the microsoft site with OEM licenses. The old digitalriver method disallowed them, but microsoft may have changed policy.

Dustin97

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016

Alright, thanks. I'll just go with the first option.