Need advice, considering purchasing a GTX Titan Black GPU

Hey all, I was hoping to get some advice. So I've been gaming on consoles for many years and am looking to make the jump to PC gaming pretty soon. A friend of a friend of a friend is selling his eVGA GTX Titan Black GPU for $525. He told me that he's owned it for a year and hasn't really played it all that much.

Since I'm pretty new to the gaming computer scene, I'm trying to figure out whether that price tag is worth it, or if I'd be better off going out and trying to find a different card, like a 780 Ti? Ideally, I'd like to use my PC to play games on my 65inch 1080p Sony TV in the living room, and I'd like to take advantage of that full resolution at as near to 60 fps across the board, as possible. I'd also like the opportunity to dabble in VR games from time to time.

One of my friends told me the Titan Black was overkill for my needs, and it probably is. But if the price difference between a lesser card is around $100 bucks, I figured it would probably be better off just to go ahead and buy the Titan Black.

I know both of these cards came out 2 years ago, so I don't know whether these are still considered good options or not by today's standards. Ideally I'd like to have something I wouldn't need to think about upgrading for several years more to come. I also read somewhere that the Titan Black wasn't DirectX 12 compatible. Is that true, and is that something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for the advice folks!
4 answers Last reply
More about advice purchasing gtx titan black gpu
  1. The Gtx 980 performs better, is cheaper, will be brand new, and is direct x12 compatible, don't get the Titan black
  2. The Titan Black is a GTX 780 Ti with more memory than necessary. A $300 GTX 970 is the current comparable card. So $525 for an old Kepler card is a rip off.
  3. A BIG thank you to both of y'all! I really appreciate the heads up, I'll definitely be hanging around this community to read up for when I start building my PC in the coming months.
  4. you could get a GTX 980 wich is much cheaper or GTX 980TI (currently is the powerful SINGLE cpu) for the same price.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx GPUs Titan Graphics Cards Graphics