Windows 10 Not being recognized on my SSD.

PercewariNaan

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Okay, so I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD. Originally, I was going to clone the data from my HDD, however the byte sectors were different and I couldn't, so I thought a clean install of windows would be good anyway. I have downloaded and put onto my USB drive the installation files required for a clean windows 10 install. Like many other people, I encountered the "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." error message.

The strange thing is is that when I load straight from the USB in my boot order, I can install windows onto the SSD fine, however, if I try to boot from the SSD, it says that I need to put in a bootable drive. I thought that this implied that it had installed incorrectly and tried again, to no avail. When I boot from the SSD in my load order, I get the error stated above.

I have compared the windows folders of both my HDD and SSD and the folder in the SSD has less files in it. I have no idea whether this is relevant or not, however I though that I would say this anyway.

These are the methods that I have tried (and can remember) so far:

-Setting the disk to MBR and trying to install again. Didn't work.

-Setting the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE. Didn't work.

-Clicking the select drivers option on the windows installer and putting in my motherboard disk to see if I needed any drivers. It didn't even pick up on any drivers at all, so obviously, this didn't work either.

The Samsung Magician thing that came with the SSD has nothing about installing any type of operating system so this seemed to be of no help at all.

Thank you in advanced for any replies.

popatim

Titan
Put the SSD at the top of the boot order in the bios. save & exit. Power off.
Install the windows usb drive & turn on the computer.

Watch the screen for the message that corresponds to 'Select Boot Device' aqnd press the F-key thats given.
Now select the option that has UEFI in front of it that matches your usb drive.

Windows install should proceed as normal but it may detect the OS already on the ssd. If the Where to install windows to screen is bloank, simply click drive options, locate the ssd and delete all the partitions on it and then click next with the unallocated ssd still highlighted.

The rest of the install should be the same as the old bios way.

PercewariNaan

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

I have done the above but to no avail. I get message saying that I need to insert a bootable drive, even though I had just installed windows onto the SSD.

Thank you for your reply anyway though.