Windows 10 100% CPU all the time plz help

inerstrength

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hello Tom's Community I just recently purchased a desktop with windows 10, and after a day or so I noticed that the CPU usage is always at 100%. I have already tried the runtime broker fix or turning off the updates from more than one place in the settings to no success.

I tried looking at the task manager on what is taking up the CPu and it is labeled as Unknown. I mean it literally says Unknown I am looking at it right now and it says Unknown with 97.7% CPu usage.

I will post a picture asap but I have to go to work in like 2 minutes and there is no picture upload feature here so I will have to do that later.

Please help.
Thanks!

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Hi,

1) Have you installed all the updates for windows 10? If not maybe try that.
2) Do you have windows 10 drivers for your hardware such as motherboard. Check on manufacturer's site
3) Did you install anything else other than windows 10? Some 3rd party software?
4) Maybe do a quick reinstall of Windows 10 and see if it happens again

Gabor

inerstrength

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
well I haven't updated the drivers the mouse is a razor and the keyboard is alienware and I just plug and go with those two, I think windows 10 is up to date I bought my desktop from cyberpower and when I tried to update it though the settings there was a message saying there are no available updates, earlier today.

Software: These are the only programs I installed, other than the stock programs and (Killer network)\
Chrome
McAfee (possibly the culprit?)
Uplay (the Division)
League of Legends
Open broadcast
Wechat
VLc media player

As for the drivers for the motherboard its just search and install right?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

If what you said is true and this happened right after you bought a new computer... then I might know what your problem is... You MUST HAVE downloaded a free game or utility from some website that was infected with malware. Do you recall doing that... or coming across a website that said you must use their "download manager" to get the file?

In any event... your best course of action is to use Malwarebytes FREE Edition.. that should clear it up.

Colif

Win 11 Master
McAfee has caused that in past but since Intel bought them, they seem to be better. I can't find anything recently about it using 100% CPU, its more likely to eat your ram.

Check the Killer drivers, they can cause 100% usage.

what is performance monitor showing as using the most?

inerstrength

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
@SBMfromLA: I haven't malware scanned yet, I should do that when I get home. As for programs that must use their download manager , would be League of Legends, Java, and The Division.

Could be malware cause from the task manager the title of the 99.7% cpu usage was labeled as Unknown

@Colif: I have seen posts about killer drivers causing 100% usage but it is mostly under Memory usage not CPU usage, might as well give it a try at this point and update it when I get home.

I also updated the GPU drivers as windows 10 wasn't able to detect my 2nd monitor without it for some reason, so a clean install of that could work

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, i didn't read second paragraph about the file name until after. If it is Malware, I have to wonder what McAfee was doing at the time it got in.

Probably isn't the driver I suggested... sorry

Spose that unknown has no path attached to it? Right click the header of processes tab and add command line. It might show where it loads from.

inerstrength

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I am at work (accounting) not much to do here, so I am not at the computer that is having the problem. Anyways I did right click the process and locate the file location button when I was at home and figuring this problem out myself, and it took me to C: program files/Unknown, I think. I feel like there is another path to the Unknown but that is the gist of it. The file is empty and when I try to get to the Unknown file through normal pathing it was hidden.