Windows 10 refuses to install even on GPT disk

dantekb43

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Hi gurus!

Here's the deal... I have an SSD with an OS already installed, now I want to install Windows 10 on another partition.

The things is, when it's time to select the partition on the installer, it says that i can't install windows on the disk because it has an MBR table, and EFI needs to be put in a GPT one.

The problem is:
1) The disk is already formatted for GPT thanks to the old OS already installed on it.

2) i CANNOT format the entire drive!!! I need that OS there and currently i don't have ways to backup my data.

So my question is:
Is there a way to fix this WITHOUT wiping the whole SSD? Because I've already googled everything related to this problem and EVERYWHERE the solution is to format the entire drive (which again it's not a solution for me).

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
Go into diskpart, select the disk, and run "convert gpt." Also, if the other OS is older (7 or below or Linux), Windows 10 might have to be placed in the first partition on the disk so it can run its EFI bootloader. If the other OS is linux, install GRUB 2 EFI

bistwo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Go into diskpart, select the disk, and run "convert gpt." Also, if the other OS is older (7 or below or Linux), Windows 10 might have to be placed in the first partition on the disk so it can run its EFI bootloader. If the other OS is linux, install GRUB 2 EFI

Solution

dantekb43

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

Thanks for the ideas, but as I've said, i can't wipe the drive, "convert gpt" command on diskpart needs to wipe the whole drive. The other OS is Linux (Ubuntu), but it already has an EFI Grub.

I've done the exact same thing on another PC, and Windows installed fine, but in my main PC (the MB is an Asus Z97-M PLUS) this problem is happening.

dantekb43

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

The current OS is Linux (Ubuntu), and it already has an EFI grub.

Yes, the SSD has enough space for another partition to install Windows 10. I've already done this on another PC, and it worked fine, but in my main PC (the MB is an Asus Z97-M PLUS) this problem has appeared.

Thanks for the help.