Things To Beware of When Selling GPU on Ebay

galacticfan

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
I was recently gifted a Zotac GTX 970 and I was planning to sell it on eBay but after doing a bit of reading around, I'm worried about being caught out and someone trying to scam me.
It is a new unopened box and I was wondering what I could do to protect myself. I imagine that I should open the box to take pictures of everything, including the serial number, but do I also open the anti static bag to photograph the card?
And should I also test the card before selling it? If so, will this item no longer be classed as new on eBay?

Solution
if you open the box.. it is no longer new and unopened so if you wish to sell it as such you can not open the box. if you wish to do this for your own records then yes you can take photos of the card but remember to sell it as new open box never used.

selling on ebay is easy. just be sure to take lots of photographs showing the condition of the item. if a member tries to scam you and you have proof of condition it will be denied. remember buyer protection also works in reverse as seller protection. you may also want to put on a no-return-policy when making the sale.

zotac may be able to look up the serial number to determine if the card can be warranted even without a receipt

we sell quite a few items on ebay and have only had a few...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I would skip both eBay and Amazon... since you have to pay a percentage... Just use Craigslist... I've sold lots of computer stuff there over the years... and it's totally free.. and you only deal with cash... Just don't make the same mistake other people make by asking for too much... even if your card is brand new unsealed in a box... there is no warranty since it wasn't purchased from an authorized retailer (you). Just look around at the prices for similar cards and undercut those prices and your card will be sold in no time.

if you open the box.. it is no longer new and unopened so if you wish to sell it as such you can not open the box. if you wish to do this for your own records then yes you can take photos of the card but remember to sell it as new open box never used.

selling on ebay is easy. just be sure to take lots of photographs showing the condition of the item. if a member tries to scam you and you have proof of condition it will be denied. remember buyer protection also works in reverse as seller protection. you may also want to put on a no-return-policy when making the sale.

zotac may be able to look up the serial number to determine if the card can be warranted even without a receipt

we sell quite a few items on ebay and have only had a few people cause problems. in most cases the person obviously did not read the ad or has no idea what they are talking about and is trying to get a refund because of their own dumb mistake. only once did we have a user get a refund because they caused a problem and claimed it was damaged when received but we did not have a photo of the problem area so could not refute it.

if you're paranoid you can always test the card out to make sure it works and just list it as new, open box, tested.

craigslist also works but remember safety and meet in a public place and deal with cash only.

Solution