Can I install an upgradeable Win 10 in an SSD from an OEM HP HDD that has Win 7?

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Some months ago I wanted to upgrade to win 10 but I couldnt. I chat with a microsoft representative and he sent me a file named mediacreationtool. Then I tried to install it using that program, but at the end I decided not to do it (because I was still having no problems with Win 7 and Im used to it).

Now Im thinking in buying an SSD and take full of advantage of it by having windows be installed over there, but I want to do it the proper way without installing junk on the SSD as well.

Do I have the option to install Win 10 on the new SSD, or since my OEM HP motherboard is attached to the Win 7 program that it came with, there is nothing I can do?

Solution
Run that MediaCreation tool
When it asks what you want to do, create a USB install (have a 4+GB USB stick ready)
Know what your Win 7 license key is
Be SURE you know what your Win 7 license key is
Disconnect ALL drives except the SSD
Boot from the USB, and install Win 10 on the SSD
Activate with your Win 7 license key.

Verify it actually works and is activated.

Now you can go about installing all your applications, etc.
You will need to clone over the W7 HDD to the SSD at which point the SSD will be your new C drive. Then upgrade to Windows 10. For the cleanest upgrade path.

This assumes the total amount of storage used on your HDD is less than the total available space on the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Run that MediaCreation tool
When it asks what you want to do, create a USB install (have a 4+GB USB stick ready)
Know what your Win 7 license key is
Be SURE you know what your Win 7 license key is
Disconnect ALL drives except the SSD
Boot from the USB, and install Win 10 on the SSD
Activate with your Win 7 license key.

Verify it actually works and is activated.

Now you can go about installing all your applications, etc.

Solution

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

The thing is that I dont know my win 7 key. It came installed in my OEM Hewlett Packard PC I bought years ago.

USAFRet

Titan

Is it printed on the case?
Or, use Belarc Advisor to discover that license key.