Windows 10 Update Failed, stuck in Startup Repair

blueshobby

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
Tried to update HP Laptop to Win10. Install failed and entered Automatic Repair which also failed. System is now stuck in Startup Repair. None of the options listed work, nor does restarting. I copied files before attempting update, but not the OS.

Solution
Perhaps try to rollback from Windows 10, to your previous Windows version, using the 'Go back to previous build' option which can be located in the Advanced Options from the Boot menu.

See the second half of this article, the section titled 'If you cannot load the Windows Desktop, you can initiate a Rollback using the following method'.

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Perhaps try to rollback from Windows 10, to your previous Windows version, using the 'Go back to previous build' option which can be located in the Advanced Options from the Boot menu.

See the second half of this article, the section titled 'If you cannot load the Windows Desktop, you can initiate a Rollback using the following method'.

Solution

blueshobby

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to consider this and reply. The link addresses for going back after a successful install. I tried the various options under the advanced system recovery options from the Startup Repair screen. Unfortunately the 'next' button under System Restore will not work, only the cancel button does.

The only listed option (Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Win Memory Diagnostic and Command Prompt) I have not tried is Command Prompt because I do not know what DOS command(s) will restore my OS.